Archinect
anchor

Living in Tokyo

Leroy

I´m doing a year at TIT in Tokyo starting in october and I´m a bit worried about getting a place to live. Do anyone know a good way of finding aparments, prices etc. I just need something simple.

Mar 12, 06 8:38 am

if you are going on a scholarship there should be a contact number for help with foreign students. they will be your best bet.

it took my wife and i 3 days to find our flat, basically checking out every subway line that went close to my uni. we used a japanese language site to get a feel for cost and amenities and such. don't know of anything really useful for same in english, just a bunch of sites for daily-rent housing that can be on the expensive end.

to give an idea of cost my classmates spend anything from $400 to $800 a month, some flatshare, most don't. flats for that amount in the center of the city are probably about 10 to 20 m2 and beat the hell up.

i live 25 minutes from the centre of tokyo and pay about $1000 a month for 80m2 but we were incredibly lucky to find anything so cheap. this is very cool but it takes me about an hour to get anywhere in the city frome where i am. if travelling time bugs you it is better to go for the small downtown flat.

Mar 14, 06 3:21 am  · 
 · 
Leroy

Yes a small downtown flat seems perfect for me. I´m planning for a year so I really don´t care about anything else than a small bathroom, place for a bed and a desk. Are you at TIT? Do you know which professors that can be good, I have not made my choice yet. And how good is TIT architecture compared to other arch schools?

Mar 17, 06 5:38 am  · 
 · 

no i am university of tokyo, but they sometimes do things together with my uni a

Mar 17, 06 6:31 am  · 
 · 

wups...

sorry.

anyway, Tokyo Institute of Technology is one of the top ranked schools in Japan, and quite prestigious. Am not 100% sure, but believe tsukamoto is teaching there, of bow-wow fame. I went to see him and wiel arets a few months back for a workshop they were doing jointly with a prof from my school, and it was hosted by TIT...

so, things going on, an the campus is in nice area of the city.

arch schools in japan are nothing like north american arch schools so be prepared for some disorientation. students join a lab and do fairly rigorous research rather than design for thesis, and can be expected to do work for the prof, joining in competitions (in his name) and so on, in addition to studio and what not. that is pretty cool. the difficult part is that profs are generally practicing architects and busy, and they don't really spend much time teaching or offering critiques in the way you might expect. which means it is necessary to rely on yourself and classmates more than in north america and europe. hard to explain, but you will see once you get here. all in all, worth doing though.

and tokyo is a blast.

Mar 17, 06 6:41 am  · 
 · 
Carl

Hi there.
I'm enrolling the 2 year Masters program at TIT at Tsukamoto's LAB this October . Wow - I am so exited - to experience and live in Tokyo, and look forward to meet the school and teachers. I guess every school has its ups and downs...
Well - maybe I'll meet you guys in Tokyo.

Sep 4, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: