Archinect
anchor

Digital Project or Other 3d Software!?

fredh

Hi everybody,

i just register to Archinect as it sound to be a great community.
I have a Question for you all about 3D software, but the one you use for the full process, from the design to the construction.
I heard about a software call Digital Project who did that. Nobody no more about it!?

thanks

Fred

Mar 9, 06 1:03 pm
lletdownl

digital project is a a ghery technologies program, its massive, based on mosty dassault programs which it uses as a platform and incorporates. It is not really a software you can just use, its probably incredibly pricey, it also wont run on PC's youd need to get a sweet super type computer to even run it... unless your working for a massive firm doing huuuuuge projects, your probably not gonna ever use it...

http://www.gehrytechnologies.com/products.html

Mar 9, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

Thanks lletdownl for your comment, i check their website, it sound run on a PC.
Is there anybody here who know more about this Soft, or even better User of this soft!?
after looking at the website, its sound very interesting! but can it be use by everybody!?

Mar 9, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
job job

DP can be used by everybody (if I can learn, you abs. can), and the PC required is nowhere near Cray specs. Look into the student license.

Also check out Generative Components http://www.smartgeometry.org/

Mar 9, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

Where did you lern it Snowi!?
is it difficult?

thanks for the links looks great!

Mar 9, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

i just found this link by looking for more information about Digital Project, it sound that even a small firm can expect using it!!
i need to learn it.
are you a lot on this forum who use it!?

http://aecnews.com/news/2006/01/27/1363.aspx

Mar 9, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

i was expecting get more information, but it sound nobody use it

Mar 10, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
theMan

so would you say that frank ghery is dependent on the computer?

Mar 10, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

me!?
no its just i would like to get feedback from use, if there is other than people from Gehry Office

Mar 10, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
flashpan

I use DP a lot, albeit not for built projects (yet).

Great package, steep learning curve, but the parametric capabilities are beyond other softwares I've tried. I also attended a workshop using Bentley's "Generative Components" software, which is a similar idea with a very different interface.

The real difficulty, however, is not learning the software, but thinking parametrically - it is a fundamentally different way of modelling which involves drawing relationships rather than absolutes. Once you begin to understand that, you will have trouble going back to your old modelling softwares. I find it useful for projects at all scales, especially anything related to digital fabrication, milling, etc.

No problems with my humble PC, but it gives my graphics card a workout.

Mar 11, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Power Copy!!!!!

Mar 12, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

Thanks flashpan!
well it seem useful...except n eed to be ready to change the way of thinking...which maybe not a bad think. Is it easy to get everything parametric? and is it working well!?

Appleseed, what is Power Copy!??

Mar 12, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
flashpan

A "power copy", or a "document template", is essentially like a parametric block, as in AutoCAD, but it can be embedded with knowledge that allows it to conform to different conditions in the master model. You could model a structure-and-skin module as a unit, then deploy it in different configurations on a complex surface. (sound like Gehry?) Maybe its more like a script than a block.

Mar 12, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Yeah, we had a DP seminar about a year a go. All I remember is 'uuuuhhhh instantiate the power copy.....uuuuhhh...' But you prolly had to be there.

Mar 12, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
flashpan

I prefer paste, scab, splice, graft, or stick.

Never much liked "instantiate."

Mar 12, 06 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

Thanks guy for your feedback.

Do you think that DP is a good soft for design..compare too other software?

Mar 13, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

i found other information on it.

http://aecnews.com/articles/842.aspx

what is your opinion about it

Mar 14, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: