Archinect
anchor

digital tectonics

joe

does anybody know how to create a shape/object similar to the cover of digital tectonics?
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0470857293.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
I have tried in maya to use various methods, but am not coming up with a strong form. I'm not trying to copy it, but I am trying to create a tubular 3d structure with ribs just like the image. any help appreciated

Feb 20, 06 12:11 pm
Hasselhoff

You could probably make an oval in Rhino, then use the sweep two rail command and modulate the two curves,combine like to paths or something.

Feb 20, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I made this in like 4 minutes with the method I just mentioned.

Feb 20, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
joe

cool, I'll give it a try.. I was using a face and extruding on a path, and smothing, but I didnt think of tryin that method. thanks

Feb 20, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
job job

hey joe, as far as what i believe from neal leach, that geometry was made with advanced superhigh fidelity ratcharayV10 to simulate some mentalist scenario by a close collaboration with bureau smoothie.

since you know maya, use subdivision surfaces - see those 'X's where the vectors intersect? subd's will do it

Feb 20, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I am pretty sure the object on that cover is more than a couple surfaces. Try blendsurface in rhino.

Feb 20, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Here's my attempt 1. The geometry of the blended area is off. I'll try again.

(I should be working!)

Feb 20, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
joe

haha, yeah I know what you mean.... I'll have to get on rhino onc eI get home and try it... but I have since gotten an acceptable substitute, so I am trying to move onto the next task... bu tI'm still curious about it.

thanks for the input guys

Feb 20, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Attempt 2:

Feb 20, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool. Good luck.

Feb 20, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: