Archinect
anchor

NYC Firms

dtowntitan

I am moving to NYC in May. I was wondering if anybody in here knew of any young, innovative firms that may be looking to hire, or that are just a good place to apply to. I have very few contacts in the NY area, so I am kind of at a stand still at this moment.

Also for anybody living in New York right now, I am also looking at apartments, it is just not an easy thing to do online. So if any of you are living in a nice place that isnt astronomically priced, or know of any, it would be very helpful for some suggestions on that.

Feb 9, 06 11:40 am
Medusa

For apartments, try newyork.craigslist.org. Or you can always live in select NJ cities (Hoboken, Newark, Jersey City) with train service to the city.

Feb 9, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

If you're moving here in May - start looking in May - there is no need to "announce" your arrival 4 months in advanced.

Craigslist the places to live. BK is MUCH cheaper than NYC to live.

A side note: EVERYONE wants to work for a "small" and "innovative" office. Good luck finding one that can pay you what you'll need to live here.

A lot of offices on the LES are small and innovative - also check out DUMBO offices in BK - they are usually small.

JPDA.com is hiring now.

Feb 9, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
dtowntitan

The intent is to go on interviews in early March, during Spring Break, the hope is to have a job and apartment taken care of before departing, and being in limbo until things get situated.

Feb 9, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
aeaa

dtowntitan-
Findinga job before having a NYC address is quite difficult - people often want you to be able to come in on short notice. Searching for anything apt wise before the month that a current lease is up is just impossible because of high demand and turnover.

One idea would be to find a short term sublet where you can crash for a little while for cheaper while you try to get interviews and find out where you want to live and what you can afford - then get settled. Another place for job the hunt is
new-yorkarchitects.com and of course craigs list and the NYTimes

Feb 9, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

the path I took....

I sent out 12 portfolio samplers - 6 to offices who were hiring and 6 to unsolicited offices...

got 6 interviews

6 offers, reduced to 3 as per work environments and did the "salary game"

I went back to NC, sold everything I didn't need and moved to NYC less than a week later. I found a sublease on CL and lived there for 3 months. By that point, I had made some good friends and moved into a loft in Brooklyn with them.

My friend [thenewold] recently did the same.

It's not a huge deal if you dont have a local address. Offices just want you readily available.

Good luck.

Feb 9, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

There are tons of openings in my "loft community" off the L train in Brooklyn - the rooms go for about $600 a month and are on average 12' x 10' rooms. Decent neighborhood with bars, organic food stores, video rental places and coffee shops.

PM me around the time you're looking and i'll letcha know if there are openings anywhere near me.

Feb 9, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: