Archinect
anchor

3-d model of nyc

paula

Does anyone know of a very basic 3-D volume- model that one can use of parts of NYC? I'm hoping to locate a simple 3-D model to serve as a BASE to elaborate upon in my own 3-D program. I'm not sure how else to build up part of a city scape?? This is for non-commercial work---- and am specifically looking at Williamsburg near the East River.
grateful for any input... thanks.

Feb 3, 06 12:22 am
JohnProlly

How about this:

Call the zoning office and pick up a map or get a cad disk with the information and get building.

Feb 3, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

if you have a few grand to pay for one, I can send some links

ask some Columbia students, they had one fairly recently if I recall correctly.

Feb 3, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
MahoneyMethod

try google earth....last I saw they had 3d from mid park (80th street) down to the SoLiberty....

Apr 28, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

you can rip data out of google earth:

http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/

Apr 28, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

try this - the 3d city is pretty detailed but it has 3000 layers u can turn on and off - but the drawing is only of manhattan, not brooklyn or queen, etc----manhattan only. u might need to download voloview
- if you have problems with the download let me know i have already downloaded the file. good luck..... oh almost forgot...once on the site goto -3D- 3D MISCELLANEOUS - page 23 last page - and u should see it

http://www.cben.net/

Apr 28, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

google earth is pretty good2

Apr 28, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

try the existing "entourage3D" model repository, http://entourage.caup.washington.edu
courtesy of the acadia.org group & Brian Johnson at washington.edu

e-)

this is how the 3-d massing is geting integrated into google earth
if anyone has things to add to the overall project - check out acadia.org (association of computer aided design in architecture)

-------------------------------------------
Dec 26 2005 posting for the acadia list serve group

Dear ACADIAns:

Do you have accurate, map based (but simple/medium polygon count) 3D models of cities or urban areas, or landmarks that you or your students built for a studio project or for documentation and analysis?

If you are willing to share them, please contact me. I am starting a free online resource that contains a collection of 3D model (buildings) overlays that are integrated into Google Earth. I am looking for simple ‘massing’ 3D models. Those can be of any city or location in the world. I use 3D Studio MAX so you can send the files in a variety of formats (.3DS, .DXF etc.). Please contact me before sending the files. Full credits and acknowledgement will always be included.

Jassim Jabi - @ MIT school of architecture

Apr 29, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ap

the www.cben.net model is sort of unfinished and 'free-styled' with the same buildings beeing repeated to fill the map.

Does anyone know where to find a model of the same quality as the one used in google earth?

Apr 29, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

Trying to find digital models of New York City (Brooklyn). In particular Williamsburg and the Williamsburg Bridge.

Paula, did you ever find what you were looking for and do you have any suggestions?

thanks -

Sep 1, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
LimitedPromos

ap...check manamana's link to ogle. You can "export" the google earth model on your screen to a .OBJ file then import into maya/max/rhino.

Sep 1, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

the maya model we've got roaming around columbia is only manhattan. . . so no luck for you here

Sep 1, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

misterTT, does your model include the williamsburg bridge? Even if it doesn't it may be a good place to start. would it be possible for you to email it or put it on an ftp? thanks for your response.

Sep 1, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: