Archinect
anchor

Zumthor Works - bid away

rayray
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peter-Zumthor-Works-by-Helene-Binet-Peter-Zumthor_W0QQitemZ4608912298QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

always seems to be some interest in this book around here - beyond me ($$$) so go ahead and jump in - good luck

Feb 2, 06 1:43 pm
rayray

ps - for the record, I'm not the seller.

Feb 2, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
e

why do ppl up their own bids?

Feb 2, 06 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
e

i should elaborate. two ppl placed successive bids without anyone else out bidding them. one person bid $250 and then 3 days later they placed the very next bid and bid $275.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=4608912298

Feb 2, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
todd

thats not true, that is a reserve that was not met by another members bid. basically someone bid less than 275 but never surpassed 275 so that persons' reserve takes into effect.

Feb 2, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
e

ah, thanks for the clarity.

Feb 2, 06 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
switters

but why bid until the last 30 seconds. why bid 4 days in advance? its friggin dumb. you bid early you will pay more in the end.

Feb 2, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
kpcases

Zumthor is really good so is this book but does anybody have any idea where i could get my hands on "Thinking Architecture"?

Feb 2, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
switters

there is a new edition of thinking architecture (with some new material) and another zumthor book coming out soon. check amazon.

Feb 2, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
kpcases

just got it . thanks

Feb 2, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
raymonde

at the recent hiroshi sugimoto and zumthor talk in nyc at the austrian cultural forum, hiroshi sugimoto showed images of his 'architectural' work and images of his studio, and asked zumthor what he thought. in response, he said, 'i don't know, i don't believe in photographs'. additionally, when asked what his response to the photographs of sugimoto's of zumthor's buildings, he said they are "okay, they are (your) artistic interpretations of them"

when speaking with olafur eliasson at the cooper union, he mentioned: "if it is not beautful, why speak of it?" and introduced the talk with very few images. the first was of his new studio, a shot of him in the kitchen "cooking a lonely fish" and he mentioned there was a hole for the cat to come in and out at will.

finally, at a third place, a sort of symposia featuring curators, artists, and architects (if you can call hani rashid an architect, and zumthor), he had mentioned how the building in koln (cologne) now undergoing construction was opened to the public (and the new pope) for a day. instead of mentioning what the pope thought, he spoke instead of what a little girl said about the inside: "that there are stars in the walls".

+

Feb 3, 06 9:50 am  · 
 · 
rayray

$401 - not a bad investment on a $75 dollar book but way off all that talk of $3000 that I've heard - urban legend? I recently borrowed the book from a library, the work is great but I don't understand the need to aquire this book reaching such extremes, especially when the work is published elsewhere.

raymonde - nice bits of information, is his new studio different from the larch wood one in the book?

Feb 6, 06 11:15 am  · 
 · 
raymonde

although i have never been to his new studio, i have seen an early drawing of the plan in an issue of casabella magazine. (which always features quite interesting and informative interviews with zumthor, as opposed to puff pieces in other magazines)

as for the book 'peter zumthor works', zumthor has seemed to repeatedly block re-printing of it, if and but for the purpose that his architecture must be viewed with the senses, as a 'real' thing, not through a representation (however 'artistic') it may be. nonetheless, i do like my copy of the book, but remember each time the caveat against reliance on imagery.

+

Feb 6, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
zumthor works

<- ends tuesday may 22

May 19, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

less than 2 hours to go ..

i'm sure that tax refund check is in the mail ~

May 22, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: