Archinect
anchor

maya question/mel

joe

is there such a script already created that I dont know about that does something similar to this one: http://www.softlabnyc.com/ (click on fabrication and go to waffle structure)

basically I am starting to use maya for an organic modeling exercise and am trying to translate intermittent profiles so I can prototype the shape or surface via a laser cutter or milling machine. There is also a small quicktime video to watch to see exactly what I am talking about. I would need to take those profiles into another program to indicate some sort of scale so I could have them cut. I just need to generate the profiles.

is there a stock tool in maya to accomplish this, or do you know of a script that can do this?
thanks for any help...
Joe

Feb 1, 06 2:26 am
Luis Fraguada

it is a shelf button they made for a mel script. Also, the script has a an interface for customizing. Look at how it is done, open up the script editor, and try to mimick it. Look at what happens on the script editor, and start there. I am assuming they select the surface to get a position, then the planes are derived from there. The panel allows for a thickness, and the script runs and places the pieces with numbers. It would be great to just have this, but with some time, it can be written.

Feb 1, 06 3:36 am  · 
 · 
manamana

ask per.

while that is a handy interface they've developed, the basic principal of what they're doing is a very simple coding project. I wrote one that did that while I was learning MEL, and I know I've seen a few posted here before.

there's also a lasercamm-authored tool that will do the same thing with an autocad model, called CSP (cross sectional prototyping). Might want to check and see if your school has it buried somewhere (in software terms, it's ancient)

I'll look through my old files, if I find the one I wrote I'll post it. But really, unless you have a really good reason for doing this, I'd suggest digging a little deeper.

Feb 1, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
job job

my good friend randy wrote one (manamana may be referencing this) and it's hidden deep in the archives....

Feb 1, 06 5:18 am  · 
 · 
job job

...sorry can't find it

Feb 1, 06 5:20 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

The creator of the script found on the website above is Mike Szivos (former Gsap student).
the script has a couple of glitches but if you want a polished version visit the Gsap website. Click on coursework archives and look for the Maya classes. Somewhere in the tutorials and additional material you should be able to find what you are looking for.
Happy hunting!! The website interface is pretty dull.

Feb 1, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thank you.

Feb 2, 06 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: