Archinect
anchor

Holy Bejezzus

Hasselhoff

I'm going to help my friend build a workstation. Has anyone been keeping up on the dual core CPUs? I'm thinking about putting in 2 dual core Opterons. The mid level DC Opterons are $415 each. Would I be better off going top of the line single core Opterons or midlevel dual core Opterons?

Jan 28, 06 8:38 pm
Luis Fraguada

I guess theoretically 2 dual core opterons would give you the processing power of 4 cpus, vs the two with single core. I would go with two dual core opterons. How much time do you have? If you can wait a bit, it might be worth it as these come down in price.

Jan 29, 06 6:47 am  · 
 · 
count spectacula

Hasselhoff,

Where are you seeing dual core opterons for $415? The cheapest I've seen is the 265 (1.8 Ghz) for $760 a piece.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience building a workstation. I'm a student at the School of Design also (MLA) and having a hard time figuring out what to buy/build moving from a Macintosh to the PC world.

Feb 1, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Oh crap. Yeah. You are absolutely right. I was looking at the 170! IDIOT! Thanks for pointing that out. I even knew that you need a 2XX Opteron for dual processors, but for whatever reason just over looked it here. This would actually be the second workstation I built. I built my own and it's been one of the most stable machines in studio (knock on whatever the hell this desk is made of). So yeah, I guess I'll go straight up Dual Processor.

Feb 1, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Opteron 165 1.8 ghz dual core on mwave.com for $325
170 @2.0 ghz for $394

Feb 1, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

why can't they be done dual is the question i was wondering...

Feb 1, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The 1xx Opterons are designed for single processor systems. The 2xx Opterons are designed for single (then expensive) or multi-processor systems. It's the same reason you can't use multiple Athlons. They are designed differently. What the exact reason is, I don't know. Probably something with a bus or something and they can't communicate with another CPU. Check out AMD's site. Maybe that will have your answer.

Feb 1, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
count spectacula

of course there is the option of building a dual proc workstation and putting a single dual core in it to start. Then when the prices of the dual cores come down you buy a second to put in the other socket. You get the same (if not better) performance as two single cores with the option for a serious upgrade.

Feb 2, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The only thing I've read is that if the software isn't optimized for dual core, it won't perform that same as dual CPU. Like right now, for the most part, dual CPU is faster, but as the next generation of design software comes out, it will much better use dual core.

Feb 2, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

AMD has a huge price cut on 2xx opterons coming in a couple weeks, along with the official introduction of the 285 and 885.

new prices (for distributors, so add 5-10% for your final price in the US)

265: $341
270: $476
275: $700
280: $865

If it was me, I'd get one 275 or 280, and add a second in 6 months when the new socket comes out and prices drop again.

Feb 2, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

You can just keep putting stuff off forever. I hate computers! It always gets cheaper. Plus, my "client" needs a PC soon. She had huge problems with her t42p and needs a new computer ASAP. The buy one now, get a second later option is also good (d=p+l).

Feb 2, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

well, that's a bind...two weeks to save $4-500 is pretty significant, though. Currently the 2xx opterons are waaay overpriced (hence the huge cut that's coming)

you could take a gamble and try buying from a place that offers a price garantee, and hope that they drop their prices within the time window where they'll credit you the difference. Not sure how many places that sell the chips do this though.

another option would be to pick up a 240 or something just as a placeholder...I've seen used 240s for ~$70 before.

but if she really needs it settled and done soon, a 170 or 175 is a pretty good deal.

Feb 2, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: