Archinect
anchor

Laser Cutter madness...

aliwanis

All right you laser cutting monkeys, we're screwing around with the laser cutters in every way possible as part an assignment in an ornament and technology class. Does anyone have some unconventional suggestions for materials and techniques to explore (i.e. raster, vector, cut, score, pulse, perf, felt, rubber, corian, bamboo)? Let your imaginations run wild.

Jan 20, 06 1:23 am
garpike

I know a few people who have had great success experimenting with various synthetic fabrics.

Jan 20, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

skin

Jan 20, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pig's bladder

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

or beaver pelt

· 
bigness

or maybe do your own homework?
i dunno, it's a possibility.

Jan 20, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha classic.

Jan 20, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

thanks, thanks, much too kind!

You've been a great audience, i'm here all week!

Jan 20, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I did some cool stuff using the laser to draw on museum board. different score depths come out to be like lineweights, and the burnt umber color against the white can look really good, though it is easy to overdo.

also, since you have the ability to draw or cut with the same language, you can develop things where the model kind of grows out of the drawing. it's tricky though, I don't know if I ever got it how I wanted it.

Jan 20, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

well this thread is a total letdown...

you can't come in here and post cool topic titles like that, only to follow up with a completely lame-ass post about your need for ideas and total lack of creativity. the fact that you have the opportunity to play with such a cool tool that most of us will probably never even lay eyes on makes it so much worse.

Jan 20, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
job job

plus, calling people 'monkeys' and then soliciting free ideas just doesn't make many friends

try http://www.ateliermanferdini.com/

you may like it, ditchpig

Jan 20, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ether

next week we are tatooing personal barcodes onto the top of everyone's right hand

Jan 20, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

polaroid transfer. that's all you get.

and I take being called a monkey as the highest form of compliment, for the record.

Jan 20, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

ever tried laser cutting another laser cutter?
or
have the laser cutter make all of the parts for a machine whose sole function is to destroy said laser cutter.

'ditchpig' - good one, [snort].

Jan 20, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

the previous post is due to the chile in the posole i just ate for lunch.
try laser cutting a burrito???

Jan 20, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Actually, the idea of laser cutting parts for the laser is kind of cool. You could make handsome wood side panels with a Western motif and a raster image of John Wayne.

I need something to do...

Jan 20, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I bet if you etched the virgin mary on a burito you could sell it on ebay for $$

Jan 20, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Dont tempt me...

Jan 20, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

loving this thread...

Jan 20, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

etch a burrito on a statue of the virgin mary - there's your big bucks and a ticket straight to hell.

Jan 20, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

no, has to be on food. divine appearances worth $$ on ebay only happen on food.

Jan 20, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
MightyMouse

I have used a laster cutter to do cool stuff with cheese . . . was the hit of the party.

Jan 20, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Laser cut your initials into the palm pilot of that guy in your studio who forgets to silence it when he leaves it at his desk.

Just sayin.

.mm

Jan 20, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
aliwanis

i was thinking of trying to laser cut cordura nylon... my thought was that it would seal or melt the edges in the process of cutting the fabric. but maybe i'm just dreaming

Jan 20, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
joed

i can't possibly imagine a way by which you might find out whether it would seal or melt said edges.

Jan 21, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh man...

Jan 21, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

ROFLMAO

Jan 21, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

HAHA... this some funny stuff!!...

what've you guys been smoking ??

Jan 22, 06 2:44 am  · 
 · 
bigness

nothing, is just sleep deprivation, caffeine overdoses, total lack of social interaction and a healthy dose of cynicism.

Jan 22, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

how did that laser-cutting the cordura nylon work out?

Jan 22, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

ask him

.....and whom u calling monkey ?

hmm

Jan 23, 06 6:22 am  · 
 · 
mdler

1) take a picture of yourself naked
2) turn picture into Bitmap image in photoshop
3) buy yourself a box a saltine crackers
4) laser cut the image of yourself naked onto the crackers
5) have a party
6) serve the crackers w/ cheese
7) make a mental note of the person/persons who seem to really enjoy the crackers

Jan 23, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

cut out a shark and then mount the laser cutter on its head...so you can have sharks with frakin laser beams on thier heads

Jan 23, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
job job

nevermore, if that image is a reference to making the ultimate laser cutter... aliwanadoo, soy tu padre

just curious, how did that cordura problem work out, cowfinger?

Jan 24, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

make it stop, i'm crying,

no, wait, keep going.

Jan 24, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

well this thread really pulled a 180...

and i echo superheavy's post.

Jan 24, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
ElTomas

so how about using it to win a pinewood derby race??

Jan 24, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: