Archinect
anchor

Zaha Blah

timpdx

Just read that article on Zaha's Ordrupgaard in the current Metropolis and some parts of that article were spot on, especially the part about her Cinci building (I thought the same when I saw it)

"the preconstruction images of her Contemporary Arts Center building in Cincinnati showed multiple facade planes billowing, all somehow letting the eye carry past to the next. When it was completed in 2003, of course, no such transparency graced the magazines. Instead there was an ungainly closed form, decidedly opaque and not far from Brutal."

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1692

Man, when I saw here show at SF MOMA (OUCH, 9 years ago, whoa!) I was blown away by the drawings. Made the special trip from Pittsburgh to Cinci and last fall and, well, ho hum.

Jan 15, 06 4:06 pm
sporadic supernova

Zaha's over-rated !!!

Jan 16, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I have yet to hear her speak. Looking forward to the lecture on the 28th of Feb 2006 at the AA. With her will be Hanif Kara, who I have a pretty good impression of. Structural Engineer extraordinare. You have an idea? He will help you realize the ways to make it stand.

Jan 16, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Luis:

Will there be an video online for the lecture you mentioned?

Jan 16, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

louis...so looking foward to that too...tickets on sale yet?

Jan 16, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Her lectures are great! Thanks especially to her man-lover hiding up behind the project running the cool animations.

Jan 16, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

projector.

Jan 16, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

She lectured here (cincinnati) once and half the audience walked out she was such an arrogant man-hating bitch. She does beautiful drawings, though.

Jan 16, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Schumacher (spelling?) lectured here (Penn). I heard Zaha was supposed to come, but she bailed. Anyway, he showed 300+ slides. It sucked. I left.

Jan 16, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hmmm... too bad for you guys. I was so thrilled with the slides and animations that I must have missed (well, not entirely) all of the man-hating. She certainly is self-loving. Anyway, I saw her at UCLA a few years back. I don't remember anyone leaving.

Jan 16, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
upside

fuck, if i was her, i'd love me too

Jan 16, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

How much do you think she makes per year? More revenue from her comissions or from her books? Just curious.

Jan 16, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Luis,

think you could maybe record that lecture and post a link for us ?

Jan 17, 06 4:44 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

A guy i knew worked did an internship in her office. for around 2-3 months.

He said later that it was one of the biggest disillusionments of his life.

she may do great work and all but I personally think that there are countless more ,
a hundred , thousand times more deserving candidates for the pritzker prize.

Somehow its quite frustrating that only a few "celebrated" names/institutions and firms are mentioned in mainstream media.
thats why MOST of us in the fraternity here get conditioned to think and look towards one direction.

I take solace from the fact that the two greatest architects of contemporary architects werent architects by training but by heart !

Jan 17, 06 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

A guy i knew worked did an internship in her office. for around 2-3 months.

He said later that it was one of the biggest disillusionments of his life.

she may do great work and all but I personally think that there are countless more ,
a hundred , thousand times more deserving candidates for the pritzker prize.

Somehow its quite frustrating that only a few "celebrated" names/institutions and firms are mentioned in mainstream media.
thats why MOST of us in the fraternity here get conditioned to think and look towards one direction.

I take solace from the fact that the two greatest architects of contemporary architects werent architects by qualification but were defacto architects by heart & soul !

Jan 17, 06 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

hey sporadic supernova . . . I do not have to make the video, the AA takes video of all lectures they put on and make them available at the AA Photo Library. As far as putting it on the web . . . I dunno if I have enough webspace on my server for that. We'll think of something . . .

Jan 17, 06 8:02 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

i saw her at UCLA last year. I was in San Diego visiting and found out she was speaking and drove up. Yes I think her man lover was working the projector. She FLIES through animations and images, there are so many, all of them visually astounding.

Jan 17, 06 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: