Archinect
anchor

new apple computers announced!

bothands

manamana:

the Thinkpad t60 is not "identical to the more expensive macbook pro except for no DVD burner and integrated graphics" -- it has a 14.1" screen vs. the Mac's 15.4" and a 60GB HD vs. the Mac's 100GB HD, to mention only a couple features - pretty big differences actually

and incidentally, where can it be had for $1400?

Jan 19, 06 2:15 am  · 
 · 
bothands

oh and the more expensive Macbook comes with 1 gig of Ram vs. Thinkpad t60's 512MB...so the differences start adding up

Jan 19, 06 2:19 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I guess it depends on what's important to you - I suppose I was looking at it I terms of what I'd want. I can't imagine needing more than 40GB in a laptop (I have 2TB in a desktop if I need storage). A GB stick of ddr2 is only ~$70 on any weekly deal, so I'd rather have the minimum and upgrade myself than get overcharged from a system builder.

The screen is important though - I could've sworn the t60 model I looked at had an SXGA+ screen (1440x1050, slightly better than the mac), but I just double checked and it is indeed plain old xga. Size of screen for the most part doesn't matter to me - resolution does.

also, while I haven't seen definitive battery life numbers on the mac, people seem to be concerned that it isn't that great (I've heard less than 3hrs - which sounds about right considering that battery life is not a feature apple is touting) The t60's been tested at over 5hrs. IBM also has a 3 year warranty vs 1 year for apple ($350 to get to 3years with applecare)

and the t60 price is $1350 through most of the discount channels I checked. leaving the whole OS debate out, I think the IBM is a better buy if you're buying now, though with the screen and graphics, probably wiser to wait until the T60 models with better graphics and screens go up for sale.

There are several ways to get discount pricing on IBM laptops. educational purchasing loopholes, epp/stockholder discounts, etc. There's a thread on fatwallet on one of the edu programs that will sell to anyone (there are a couple schools with such programs, though unfortunatly harvard isn't one of them)

Jan 19, 06 4:19 am  · 
 · 
trace™

IBMs seem so slow to adobt newer graphics and screens. I've always heard good things about them, but they just seem outdated.

But yeah, depends on what you want. I want 17" UXGA, 7200rpm drive, good graphics, etc. The Macs seem to have started with good specs...I remain optimistic that I'll be running Max on a Mac in the near future...

Jan 19, 06 9:34 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

screw laptops, i want one of these bad boys

Jan 19, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

wow

Jan 19, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
French

holy cow
$51,560

Jan 19, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: