Archinect
anchor

Trying to Learn Vectorworks

ichweiB

Hey guys,
Well-I just switched over to the Mac platform. I have been an AutoCAD user since I was a freshman in college, and now in my first year of graduate school, I feel like a duck out of water trying to use a different drafting program. I was wondering if anyone had some good resources I might be able to use to learn the program. I have Vectorworks 11 right now with renderworks. If there are any tutorials online or books you mighpt suggest, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

Jan 2, 06 5:52 pm
el jeffe

i thought VW came with a pretty decent tutorial pack?

Jan 2, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

There's a reasonably good tutorial that comes with VW11 (just click the "Help" button.) There are also a few 3rd party books and CDs out there. The book by Tom Baer is pretty good for learning each tool individually - though a little slow moving and not that great for understanding how to set up a project. I'm not sure there's an edition for version 11 though.
When I started using VW it came with some sample projects on the install CDs, and there was one architectural one that was helpful for understanding how to set up the layers and classes.

Jan 2, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
LimitedPromos

Microsoft Paint can do everything Vectorworks can do. Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint and your golden.

Jan 5, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

when I taught myself vectorworks, I just started drawing and used the help file as needed. it's a little frustrating sometimes but it works okay.

Jan 5, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
weave

one good thing i've noticed about VW learning is the ultra-fast turnaround for questions in the discussion groups. if you have any questions, i would suggest going there, searching for the answer, or just go ahead and ask. they usually respond within the day.

recently, i saw a post on there concerning v12...the guy wrote a very long post, mostly positive, but then stated his concerns and problems w/ the program. a short time later, the CEO of the north american division of VW personally responded to the post, assuring this guy that his concerns were being handled. try to get that attention w/ autocad or microstation!!

anyway, there are a few tricky steps concerning referencing, but once you get that down, i think the program is really solid.

Jan 6, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

are these discussion groups on their website? I have gone to architosh and found some there, but didn't know of where any other forums were.

Jan 6, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Try to think more photoshop/illustrator when your using it. The commands are closer to that than ACAD.

Jan 6, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

I'm currently learning VW12 and I bought this manual/tutorial by Jonathan Pickup and HIGHLY recomend it. It's a text manual that comes with a CD that has PDF files of the text with links to video as you go. The video walks you through the commands and such. Anyone out there gone this route with success?
http://www.archoncad.co.nz/

Jan 7, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: