Archinect
anchor

Too generic?

Is it too generic to talk about playing with legos, lincoln logs, kinects, etc as a child in the intro of my SoP?

Dec 12, 11 11:04 pm
byen01

YES.

Dec 12, 11 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jord99

At the four week summer program I attended a few months ago we had a portfolio/admissions assembly. One of the members of the admission committee stated that any essay involving the use of legos was thought absurd, and although not cause for an automatic rejection certainly resulted in taking that applicant less seriously. I've heard this from others as well. 

Dec 13, 11 12:23 am  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

Thats sort of what I was thinking but it's great to have the confirmation so I can finally put those thoughts aside. 

Thanks for the responses.

Dec 13, 11 12:38 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I played with tangrams (and was quite good, if I recall correctly :-) ).  Pretty sure I put that in (and when you see my designs, you could probably make a connection, even though I was only 7-9 when I played with them).

Dec 13, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Good advice here, nmgeller.

Better, possibly, to talk about your curiousity about buildings, etcetera, in your SOP.  Lego chat is for drunken conversation after design reviews, once you've been admitted.

Dec 13, 11 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: