Archinect
anchor

Cool things to see in Paris

laverlover

Am going to Paris in two weeks and wondering if anyone can recommend cool places to go visit. (sounds like an awful question)
Can only think of the Arab Institute and Pompidou or Musee d'Orsay...
Oh, and I heard it's gonna be a sale week there....any cool shops to check out?

Dec 29, 05 4:56 pm

you'll stumble on the normal stuff, i'm sure, but you should make the trips out to parc de la villette and villa savoye.

corb's salvation army
piano/rogers centre pompidou
perret's apt bldg on the rue franklin

wow, there's so much more...

Dec 29, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
laverlover

how long does it take to get out to Villa Savoye?

Dec 29, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
douglaslmilburn

Not sure what you are lookin' to see but here are some more suggestions:

I second Parc de la Villette and Centre Pompidou as well as:

Bibliotechque Nationale
Place des Voges
Place dauphine
Place Vendome
Chateau de Vincennes (last stop on M1 I believe)
Sacre Couer
Opera Garnier
Notre Dame
Arc de Triomphe
Louvre
Eiffel Tower
Buttes Chaumont parc
Canal Saint-Martin and surrounding area
Grande Arche de la Defense
Maison de Verre
Hector Guimard stuff

(and yes, much much more to see)

Sit and enjoy the city while at a nice café in a bustling area so you can do some people watching

Day trip out to Versailles is a good outside of paris trip as well.

Villa Davoye shouldn't take that long to get to. Maybe 30-40 mins on the RER A to Poissy.

Dec 29, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
douglaslmilburn

Yea..........so that Villa Davoye is supposed to be Villa Savoye.....its been a long one and the fingers are ready to rock and roll on out of here.

Enjoy Paris!

Dec 29, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
ihearthepavilion

PALAIS DE TOKYO
13 Av. de President Wilson
Paris
Ile de France
Tel: 47 23 54 01
www.palaisdetokyo.com

Dec 29, 05 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
c

any and all of the above v. good , so i won't repeat them
though it's a pain to schlep heavy books when travelling, check out la librarie du Moniteur, Place d'Odeon in the 5th. (Not carfour d'odeon) . better than any arch bookstore here in ny , plenty of english if that's a problem.
- re: shopping - do you mean clothes or general stuff?

Dec 29, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The Paris Sewer Museum... it's actually in the sewers and the gift shop has great t-shirts.

http://www.paris.fr/portail/Culture/Portal.lut?page_id=5885&document_type_id=5&document_id=5943&portlet_id=13165

H'elas, the website in frog only.

Also, the Rue Mallet-Stevens... one of the first modernist forays into urbanism, and not far from the Fondation Le Corbusier.

Dec 29, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
karadsheh

Well lets start with the fact that there are SALES...i personally would spend my time walking down the Champs Elysees. It definitley has the best shops in Paris and if there are sales then you are pretty lucky. The Champs Elysees is also a walk away from the Effile Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. There are many fabulous dinings down the elysees and its just a wonderful strip to walk down, you really feel like you are in the most fabulous part of Paris!!
Also i haven't seen anyone mention the Opera House, one of my favorit visits was going there. It is absolutely golden!!

Just a personal opinion i would not spend too much time in museums, just stroll through some of your favorits and then make sure to spend time outside and around the local people, you will then experience what Paris truly is through observing and interacting with the people and the architecture!!

Well i hope you enjoy your time in Paris and have a save trip.

Dec 29, 05 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The Rodin museum.

Dec 29, 05 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

paris opera house by charles garnier

Dec 29, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
MightyMouse

Avoid Champs Elysees like its the bird flu. Most over hyped thing to do in Europe. Best thing to do in Paris is to walk around until you get lost. Then just enjoy yourself. Find a cafe, find a park, stumble across some great finds. Don't be a tourist for a while.

If you must be a tourist, see Maison de Verre. Do the Orsay.

Oh, and eat at the Bistrot du Dome (Montparnasse).

Oui.

Dec 30, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
AP

2nd all above.

add Cartier Foundation by Nouvel, usually has a good exhibit as well.

Dec 30, 05 2:06 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

HOT CHICKS!!!

Dec 30, 05 5:05 am  · 
 · 
aemkei

the communist party HQ (Niemeyer)

Dec 30, 05 6:09 am  · 
 · 

la promenade plantee...it's an elevated railway that was converted into a linear park (and was the inspiration for the highline in NYC)...it's a wonderful place for a stroll and there are some cool stores underneath in the archways...

the PP is also near the new opera which is worth a look to see an example of a bad architectural competition...it was built in richard meier's heyday and the architects that won the competition designed it to look like meier so that they would win...and they did...it has not aged well at all...

as said before, definitely hit the villa savoye...go to maison de verre (charreau) if possible, but i don't think that it is open to the public...

and be sure to hit some of the markets...

Dec 30, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I second the Promenade Plantée, also staying away from the Champs Elysées (except, of course, to see the Arc de Triomphe, which has a very cool view of Haussman's big idea from the top); also, I add heading up to Sacre Coeur, which has very beautiful ceiling mosaics on the inside and the best view of the city from the outside. Bonus points if you can find the winery at the top of the hill.

The PP is also called the Viaduc des Arts and might be easier to find on a map that way. Start at the Bastille end; it stretches northeast from there and culminates in a VERY well-designed urban park. Excellent planning and maintenance and the public loves it.

As for shops, are you male or female?

Dec 30, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

steven ward,

corb's salvation army is a depressing building...it looks like they have a hard time maintaining it...a bit run down...from what i remember, theres pigeon crap running down from the parapets and you can see the spikes that they put on overhangs to drive away the pigeons....the lobby was dark (not corb's typical "play of forms in light")...the lobby walls are painted blue with hints of grime that have built up over the years...it was grimy in that lobby...there was an attempt at bringing light in by using glass blocks but was not sufficient...and of course you have the depressed-looking residents just hanging around with nothing to do...downstairs there's a piano, which i tried playing but it was out of tune...we weren't allowed to take pictures because some of the residents would flip out...a lot of the residents have drug problems according to my teacher and they want to remain anonymous and don't want to be in pictures....the balconies, as seen from the street, looked like they were 3'x3'...just enough space for someone to step out and smoke a cigarette or stare at the sky or the surrounding buildings...

Dec 30, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 

granted it's been 14 yrs since i was there, but my experience was not nearly so bleak.

Dec 30, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

in a way i like how it's bleak...

Dec 30, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

If you have any of my glass/translucency fetish at all Le Coundation Cartier will make you acheve your jouissance right there in your damn pantaloons.

Then hit l’institute du la Monde Arabe on the way back.
Neither of these projects photograph as well as they come off so really do go see them.

Dec 30, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
lounge

as soon as you arrive to paris buy " intramuros paris design guide"
there you will be able to find all cool things arrondissement by arrondissement
including a Poc boutique by bouroullec brothers in marais

enjoy

Dec 31, 05 3:10 am  · 
 · 
JAG

Does anyone have suggestions about good places to stay?

Jan 13, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
comb
Hotel Muguet

11 Rue Chevert
75007 Paris, France

if you have the time while you're in Paris, it's worthwhile to visit the Musee de Musique ... it's a long subway ride from the center of Paris, but it's worth the trip

Jan 13, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

i just got back from paris over new years.

stayed with friends most of the time, but took my lady to a more centrally located hotel for a couple nights.

you can find good deals on hotels you normally might not afford at ratestogo - you need to book last minute (2wks or less) for it to work.

http://www.ratestogo.com/

Jan 13, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

What is the name / location of that SUPERB architectural bookstore in Paris? It's been almost 6 years since I was there and I can't remember or locate any info on it.

Thanks,

~c

Jun 14, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
French

Superb... you mean well designed or with good books?

Jun 14, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Parc Citroen (metro - Balard or Javel)
It's near Meier's Canal + (You cant miss it, it's the one with the 1m x 1m white panels.)

See La Vilette at night.
Saint Chapelle
Corbs Villa LaRoche

Jun 14, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
parallel38

Arsenal Pavilion

http://www.pavillon-arsenal.com/home.php

Fantastic Place!

Its Near Nouvel's Arab Institute
I second Plantee

Jun 14, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

There's a pub --> Carr's Pub @ 1 rue Mont Thabor.

they have a YALE University sponsored happy hour every first thursday.(Next date: July 6 .from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m)

so if you'r from YALE , you shouldnt miss it.

Jun 14, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

French, I meant with good books. the building wasn't all that memorable.... I think maybe there was a two storey space in the store??

Jun 14, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

There is also a small but lovely museum of Architecture, last I was there it had an exhibition of plans for the 2012 Olympics. hahaha.

The bookshop in the Pompidou is awesome. So is the view from the top.

The Brancusi museum next to the Pompidou.

Paris Plage (beach on the Seine) is a let down.

Sexy sexy city.

Jun 14, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
French

your probably talking about le Moniteur or la Hune, both located nearby metro odeon.

Jun 30, 06 5:42 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

La hune is sorta memorable, the building. you probably were talking about le moniteur.

Jun 30, 06 6:48 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Nouvel's new 'musee des arts premiers' in quai branly is a must see apparently. so much shit to see in paris...

Jun 30, 06 7:02 am  · 
 · 
doberman

the viaduct daumesnil is one of my favorite places in Paris, quite a magical one...

Jun 30, 06 7:04 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

French, le Moniteur is it! Thanks!

Jun 30, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

certainly Corbu's Villa Roche - in Auteile (sp?) district.

Also wander the st. germain/latin quater. Beutiful street life.

Jul 1, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: