Archinect
anchor

Browser Wars 2006

I use Safari b/c it loads pages quick, looks clean and simple, and allows me to excercise my keyboard shortcut fetish, hopping to the bottom and top of pages with command+arrow keys. Lately though it keeps choking on those stupid movies and songs that people embed in their myspace pages (yes, I am a crackhead), and it's crashing a lot with "an unexpected error occured".

I'm sick of writing sarcastic error reports to apple, it's frustrating to crash when I've got five browser windows open at once. The fact that none of this snazzy web 2.0 crap like frappr or the cool-as-shit windows live local works with it might just tip the scales and make me ditch safari for good. I'm writing this from firefox, and it annoys me that it's a touch slower and doesn't look as cool. Does anyone else hate/love safari? What are some cool tricks I can do with firefox for osx to help me not hate it?

Dec 23, 05 12:27 am
Stides

The big thing with Firefox is to get a release that is optimized for your processor. I run a G4 release on my powerbook that is much much faster than the general release. Google around a bit.

I used Firefox exclusively until Safari 2.0 in Tiger. I switched and though some little incompatibilities annoy me, I find it overall a more pleasant experience.

Two tips for Safari. PithHelmet is fantastic for blocking ads, and Saft is a must have. It offers some additional shortcuts, forces new windows into new tabs, and the feature you would love. It saves your tab info and when it recovers from a crash reopens them all. The only problem is if a site crashed safari it reopens it, so you have to close that tab in a hurry.

Dec 23, 05 1:24 am  · 
 · 

I have only had to open Firefox once, and it was for local.live.com. Other than that, Safari on tiger is brilliant. Try browsing in tabs rather than windows.

Dec 23, 05 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: