Archinect
anchor

"crc redundancy check" recover...

todd

anyone have the misfortune of having a CD that reports this and if so, what was the best resource/software you were able to use to recover the files.

this instance is a disc containing .dwg files given to me that i am unable to get another copy from. Hoping to recover what data is on there. i have tried one free ware out there but it reported recovered files but the files could still not be opened by ACAD. thnx in advance. .

Dec 22, 05 3:30 pm
SuperHeavy

hahaha. Those things SUCK!

2 nights ago I had to drive from the printers back to my place to burn another CD. Cost me a little over an hour of my all too finite time.

Unfortunately, no fix known to me. I would suggest finding a young priest and an old priest.

Dec 22, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

two possible reasons:

scratch/damaged disc
bad burn

best bet is to try different cd drives. some are better at reading bunk discs than others. I have an old plextor drive I keep around for just such discs (also it ignores most new cd audio copy protections).

Dec 22, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

oops, forgot to mention that if it's scratched, get one of those scrach repair kits.

Dec 22, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
todd

99% sure its a bad burn from a scratched disk, sweet, I Know. the disc i have has no scratches just a bad burn is all. I think the best route is going to be what manamana suggested, Finding a drive that will ignore it. what type of plextor drive you got manamana?

Dec 22, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
todd

manamana, you tell me the drive make and i could get one from ebay prolly pretty cheap.

Dec 22, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I wouldn't spend any money on a new drive...it's not garanteed to work. if the disc is really, really fsked up there isn't much you can do. It's just that higher quality drives usually read with lower error rates. the drive is a 12/10/32A, but like I said, no garantees.

Since you only need to read it once, I'd get the scratches buffed out, then just try it in a bunch of different computers...friends, relatives, lab computers, whatever you have access to. You're pretty much just hoping that you get things to line up well enough that it'll read with a low enough error rate to be acceptable, and you can get the data off.

The biggest help will be getting the scratches out.

I assume the program you tried was CDCheck?

Dec 22, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

bad burn.
its a coaster.

Dec 22, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: