Archinect
anchor

Digital Cam era'

thoughts on the best digital camera - non SLR - ?

Dec 18, 05 10:50 pm
inkwray

link
Dec 19, 05 12:24 am  · 
 · 
Kentique

Why not a DSLR?
I guess nowadays, you cant really go wrong with any digicams- and dont fall for the "more megapixels = better image" lie, it dosnet work that way.

Dec 19, 05 2:17 am  · 
 · 
Navar

the leica is grand -

'non SLR' referencing size - looking at compacts

Dec 19, 05 3:45 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I have a Nikon 7900 point and shoot. It can do 7.1MP, but I usually shoot at 5MP . Colors on this thing are very nice, and thus far I am very pleased . . . many options like on most digicams, and the size is right. Battery life is also pretty good.

On a recent trip I took both the nikon and a pentax 35mm slr. Shot a bunch of digital, and when I saw something worth putting on film, I used the pentax. Looking back at it now, the small point and shoot is no match for the look of the 49mm lens on the pentax. I was seriously considering a DSLR after my trip just to be able to have the best of both worlds.

A friend has a Canon Digital elph . . . cannot remember the model number, but it does 5mp and is even slimmer than the Nikon 7900. Both take comparable pictures, and have similar options. Personally I like the navigation on the Nikon, but that is just because I am used to it.

Dec 19, 05 4:38 am  · 
 · 
eric_h

I have the canon digital elph. i think it's the sd400; the 5 MP one. it's a great camara. takes pretty good pictures under most conditions and is relatively small.

Dec 19, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i had a elph a few generations old and i took easily over 1500 photos a year... upgraded to a bigger, more features oriented sony but i wind up leaving it at home more often than not because of its size.

elph is great if you're satisfied w/ a point and shoot type.

also check dpreview.com

Dec 19, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

just got the canon a620 7.1mp a few weeks back and have been using it extensively during travelling and otherwise. It is very rugged, takes absolutely great pictures and the colors are great. It looks a bit large but is very light and runs great on regular aaa batteries in case you run out of the rechargable ones.
Its actually a canon g-series performance for the price of an a-series.

Dec 19, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz5-review/index.shtml

Get this one and you can get a Lecia lens for $350! Maybe not as chic as an Elph, bu treally solid specs and a good price.

Dec 19, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I'm contemplating getting a Canon S80. It is one of very few non-dslr cameras that has a wider angle lens [28mm to 100mm] making it very good for architecture photography. It also does video @ 1024 x 768 at 15 f/ps, which is pretty impressive. And of course, 8 megapixels.

Dec 19, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
ap

I'm going for the new (released in January) SONY DSC-T9.

Close to perfect ultra-compact design, high-quality movies, and good image quality.

ap

Dec 19, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
ap

link:

sonydsc-t9

Dec 19, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
e

i also have a canon elph. the sd550. for more info >> sd550

for a great resource for camera reviews >> dcresource

Dec 19, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I recommend a wide angle digi. They are rare, but great for photographing architecture. I have a Fujifilm E500 (Equivalent to 28-91mm on a 35mm camera) that I bought new about a year ago for under $200. This camera is great - super wide. The low price is due to being only 4MP.

$160 at Amazon

Dec 19, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
tzaar

i traveled through italy for six months with the canon s50... the s80 is the newer model and i can reccommend no other compact digital camera. if you are truly interested in good pictures, forget about size and get the nikon d70s. you won't regret the extra money, and by getting a really good camera you can start to take yourself seriously as a photographer.

Dec 19, 05 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

just got this one after canon A70 3.1 MP (benny) ate a lot of dust under the new project checking the foundations and opted for RIP.
new fuji E510 is 28 mm wide angle 5 MP and &160 @dell.
thank you garpike..
FUJI E510

Jan 28, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
AP

canon elf = very small and great picture quality

Jan 28, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Navar

agree 7M wonder - grand low light quality and white levels [][]]]]

Jan 28, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V570/V570A.HTM

it's about $100 too much

Jan 28, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

one screw followed another. goodbye. ;(

hello wideboy. 28mm. ;)

Feb 6, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: