Archinect
anchor

Definition of Architecture

Karey73

What are some of your favorite definitions of Architecture and who said them?

Dec 14, 05 3:28 pm
MiesvanderRice

"God is in the details." - MIES

"Architecture starts when you carefully put two bricks together. There it begins. " - MIES

"Architecture is the will of an epoch translated into space." - MIES

"Less is more." - MIES

Dec 15, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

From ‘Towards a New Architecture’ p203

You employ stone, wood and concrete, and with these materials you build houses and palaces; that is construction. Ingenuity is at work.

But suddenly you touch my heart, you do me good, I am happy and I say: ”This is beautiful”. That is architecture. Art enters in.

My house is practical. I thank you, as I might thank Railway engineers or the Telephone service. You have not touched my heart.
But suppose that walls rise towards the heaven in such a way that I am moved. I perceive your intentions. Your mood has been gentle, brutal, charming or noble. The stones you have erected tell me so. You fix me to the place and my eyes regard it. They behold something which expresses a thought. A thought which reveals itself without a word or sound, but solely by means of shapes which stand in a certain relationship to one another. These shapes are such that they clearly revealed in light.

The relationships between them have not necessarily any reference to what is practical or descriptive. They are a mathematical creation of your mind. They are the language of architecture. By the use of inert materials and starting from conditions more or less utilitarian, you have established certain relationships which have aroused my emotions. THIS IS ARCHITECTURE.

Dec 15, 05 12:31 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

From ‘Towards a New Architecture’ p151

The business of architecture is to establish emotional relationships by means of raw materials.
Architecture goes beyond utilitarian needs.
Architecture is a plastic thing.
The spirit of order, a unity of intention.
The sense of relationships; architecture deals with quanitities.
Passion can create drama out of inert stone.

Dec 15, 05 12:32 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

‘Architecture is masterly, correct and magnificent play of masses brought together in light'
- Le Corbusier

Dec 15, 05 12:34 am  · 
 · 
lennon

"We can finally realize, as the Eameses expressed it, that everything is architecture, and that architecture is defined as organization."

Rem

Dec 15, 05 3:23 am  · 
 · 
lennon

"...architecture is a way of thought that is under itself. It is a cultural institution different than others. And it has its own diciplinarity. It is not a science. It is not a dicipline that easily can be institutionalized as other diciplines."

Peter quoting Jacques Derrida

Dec 15, 05 3:24 am  · 
 · 
snooker

"Architecture is Me, and free thoughts, dancing lightly on a pillow of delights in the middle of the night. No constrants, no budget, no earthly restrictions."

snooker

Dec 15, 05 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

"Building is merely a matter of methods and materials, architecture implies the mastery of space" - gropius

Dec 15, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
dia

"When we find a mound in the woods, six feet long and three feet wide, raised to a pyramidal form by means of a spade, we become serious and something in us says: someone was buried here. That is architecture"

Adolf Loos
Architecture

Dec 15, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: