Archinect
anchor

lightweight concrete quality

tlmII

i have a 4 story wood framed project in Los Angeles that is planned to have exposed lightweight concrete as the finished floor but have heard nothing but warnings from anyone familiar with the application.

My section is only 1.5in which could be a problem. I've been warned about excessive cracking due to movement in the wood structure, any suggestions.

Also, I've heard horror stories about the stuff just crumbling whenevever furniture is moved, etc. Am I just asking for headaches?

Finally, I want to VE the tile floor in the bathrooms and do exposed lightweight in there but heard that this creates a waterproofing issues. Has anyone done or seen this?

Dec 8, 05 10:20 am
el jeffe

I had heard the same thing too. I worked on a 2 + mezzanine, steel + wood project in LA; we ended up using a gyp-crete product because of the better compressive strength and suitability for radiant heating. I believe it has worked out ok. I don't think we used a 1.5" section though...I'm pretty sure we had at least 2". 1.5" seems awfully thin.
If this is a housing project, how are you dealing with sound transmission?
I don't think the City will allow sealed lightweight for a restroom application. Better with with LADBS.

Dec 8, 05 11:09 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

better CHECK with LADBS.

Dec 8, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
art tech geek

maybe lightweight preform concrete tiles w/ good compressive strength - made from lightweight concrete & proproylene carpet fibers. I came across the product working on developing some other concrete artwork. Very cool@@

David Hertz's baby Syndecrete

might be just the solution (using a green product)
lots of colors, textures, counter tops, flooring

Dec 8, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: