Archinect
anchor

Tips on presenting projects

Seif86

Hi, I just wanted to know if any of you have any tips on presenting final projects (3d models, Plans,..). Things like certain software to use or modelling techniques, ANYTHING would be useful. Thank you!

Dec 7, 05 11:49 am
A Center for Ants?

*anti-per bump*

Dec 7, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

bump.

and wear blue.

Dec 7, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

really depends on who you're presenting to... presenting to a bunch of architects will inherently be different than say presenting to people w/o any kind of architectural training

Dec 7, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Seif86

ok, i donno if this counts as architectural lingo or something, but I have absolutely no idea what *anti-per bump*is!

And to answer ur second question, It's a project for college to my professor, I'm ok with drawing up plans and elevations, and i'm also ok at doing mediocre 3d models, MY PROBLEM IS with doing very advanced 3d models and doing cool stuff with photoshop, and that I feel like theres tons of software out there that I dont know about.

Thanks

Dec 8, 05 5:36 am  · 
 · 

wow, impossible to answer.

(per bump is in response to per correl being bad and has nothing to do with your question.)

in my school we had every type of presentation from performance pieces (ocassionally, but always fun to watch) to found object models and hand drawings, to flash presentations, photoshop, and 3d animations with music etc.

all of these work if you got a grip on what you need to say. banal plans probs won't do it whether it is to a client or to architects. main thing is to figure out what you want the presentees to understand and then focus on that using whatever means you have available.

presonally i like to mix hand drawing and photos with renderings or physical models (love collage), often using photoshop as the main tool...if you don't know how to use it yet def recommend learning...

as a pet peeve, unless you are seriously brilliant flash is damn annoying ;-)

Dec 8, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

number one tip on presenting: you can only present what you have. don't dwell on all the fancy graphics that you don't have. this will only breed doubt and uncertainty in your demeanor and it will undermine your efforts when it is time to present, i.e., time to sell your ideas.

focus on what you have, not what you don't have. and absolutely do not stand in up in front of people and start talking about things that you wanted to have or didn't get to yet. your audience (whoever it is) will be primarily concerned with what you do have so don't start putting ideas in there head about what your deficiencies are, they may not think of them on their own. and if they do make a suggestion such as "you should do this in flash" or "maybe a photo montage would help explain your idea" then simply thank them for the suggestion. this will make the critic feel smart for thinking of something on his own and it will avoid exposing some of your failings. do not admit that "yeah i wanted to do that." the obvious retort is, "then why didn't you?" and then you either appear lazy or foolish for spending time on something else (such as the model that is sitting in front of the critic that you are now not talking about).

lastly, if there are skills (or computer programs) that you would like to learn for presentation purposes then i'd suggest making a point of learning them over the course of the term/semester. it's too difficult to try and learn a new skill and actually make it look good during the last couple of weeks when crunch time hits. the end of the course is the time for refinement of what you have, not time for tangents.

Dec 8, 05 9:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Very good advice, puddles, re: not dwelling on what you don't have to show.

This is slightly off-topic, but I always drafted a good friend to watch my presentation and make notes on what the critics said, then give me the notes afterwards. When you're standing up there and probably haven't slept in days and are trying desperately to both present and respond, it's hard to actually learn anything from the discussion. Notes by an outside observer really, really helps the crit to ultimately be a learning experience - even if during the crit itself you're being blasted.

Dec 8, 05 11:20 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

thanks for the compliment liberty bell.

and along lb's line of thinking, if you really want to improve your presentations, video taping yourself can be tremendously helpful. it will give you a chance to breakdown the entire presentation and subsequent exchange with critics. moreover, if you have any bad presentation habits it will become glaringly (and embarrassingly) obvious. for instance, many young people today use the word "like" much too often. when you video tape, you can count the number of times you use this word (or any other pet expression for that matter.) you can also do a better job of evaluating your posture and facial expressions with the camera.

Dec 8, 05 11:32 am  · 
 · 
AP

never look better than your work.

Dec 8, 05 11:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Unless you're young and hot, then always look better than your work.

j/k

Dec 8, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
AP

one semester (in lower division) we all dressed in imitation of our studio professor's uniform (jeans and a black t-shirt) for the final crit.

15 young design students all standing there with huge grins on our faces, took him a minute to notice, then he just snickered and said, "nice...ok, we're presenting in the gallery..."

Dec 8, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Get a FULL night's rest before hand.

Dec 8, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Something simple and well done always presents better than something complex and not well done and/or finished.

Dec 8, 05 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

If you forget what to say or freeze up don't fill the space with "ummm". Have someone taking notes for you, you wont remember half of what is said to you, or someone might onerperate a comment different than you would. Don't pull an all-nighter the night before presentation. Go home get a full nights rest and washed up.

Dec 8, 05 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

yes. don't say um. i hate um.

um...

I've always tried to maintain that in the end, your idea is what counts. Make sure you're getting your idea clearly conveyed. You don't need to overkill on graphics. Sometimes that just obfuscates your real intent and you focus too much on it, putting in a lot of time into something that contributes little. I too much of that in school.

I always was up late the night before... but don't do that. And if you do, at least go home and change and shave.

Dec 8, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: