Oh man! I think the MB museum rocks!

Dec 6, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

it looks like if got rocked.

Dec 6, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

van berkel is one of my favorite architects and this particular building is pretty damn amazing.

Dec 6, 05 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

...it looks like shit though...

Dec 6, 05 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

For me, this is one of his/their better projects.

Dec 6, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

MB museum looks like a motorcycle cylinder abstract.. and moss thing is a true piece of shit.

Dec 6, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
illogic

it doesn't look anywhere near as ugly as one of their previous attempts...

Dec 6, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yes, that is poo.

Dec 6, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

it's...weird!
it's like someone's cat walked on the keybord while the rhino model was open...
if the grey cladding wasn't so shiny it would look a lot better.

Dec 6, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Maybe there should be an Archinect Best and Worst of 2005 thread. In which case, both of the above would be in the latter category.

Dec 6, 05 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

dammson... that thing looks like bad sneaker design... what i usually call "attack of the moonshoes"

Dec 6, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

asymptoe submitted a design for this museum right?

Dec 6, 05 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

i'm definitely a fan of the benz museum; not so much so of some of their other stuff.

Dec 7, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 

i wouldn't call the benz museum ugly by any means, maybe a little banal looking. hard to say without seeing the plans if it is so bad or not.

the EOM work is slightly strange. it is sorta up there with hotdog stands shaped like giant hot dogs and that lot of popitecture. but definitley makes me grin, so why not? it ain't my taste but at least it isn't boring...:-)

Dec 7, 05 3:16 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

thats great, architectural comment/criticism is now getting to a level of 'ugly', 'looks good' etc... maybe helping at how the building works inside might just work, right????
personally, i wish the spatial complexity and interplay inside could be reflected on the facade in a more expressive fashion, but its a very strong project, imho

so, again could we have some decent level of comment or criticism in this thread???

Dec 7, 05 3:29 am  · 
 · 
urbanisto

I've been inside the MB-museum while still under construction:
IT'S AMAZING

even with all the safety-, building-code, whatever applied - it's still an amzing interior. You might not realize the double-helix concept as a normal visitor, (not knowing the plans and renderings by UN), but I think this conceptual sh**t is not relevant anyway.
SO in defense of UN studio - whose bulidings are talked about to often on a conceptual level only - this IS just a good building.
It gives you the impressions of enclosure at one point provides great outlooks over the valey and the wineyards nearby at some other point.
what I mean: it's architecture...

not maya-rhino-rendermania with the normal
"Whoops how can you build this?"-attiute

Although I am sure Ben vB and friends will not share this view and will keep on talking about the digital-bla-bla-bla...

..here a link to the website
of the new museum for all who cannot wait till next spring

Dec 7, 05 5:04 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

is "very strong project" a higher level of critique?

Dec 7, 05 6:55 am  · 
 · 

yes. "very strong project" is a sanctioned archi-speak term used since palladio at the very least.

i rather like the ever-famous m. sudjic's writing but in the end much of what he says comes down to "what the hell IS that?"

which i have no problem with. he is always a pleasant read...

Dec 7, 05 7:59 am  · 
 · 
AP

strong like bull!

Dec 7, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

And you still don't belive it ?

Are you all Virgins ?

Gee what act so silli is the lack of structure . The real question are ; do you expect the tube structure lattrice ,or what you Romans want to call what keep the building in the air Beautifull ?

A steel tube lattrice _exactly_ as what hold the nice building in London in the air --- still you havn't even wondered the structure of it have you ?

Dec 7, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
ugly

1. Displeasing to the eye; unsightly.
2a. Repulsive or offensive; objectionable.
2b. Rude.
2c. Unmanageable.
3. Morally reprehensible; bad.
4. Threatening or ominous: ugly black clouds.
5a. Likely to cause embarrassment or trouble.
5b. Marked by or inclined to anger or bad feelings; disagreeable: an ugly temper; an ugly scene.

Ugly or not, the Mercedes-Benz Museum is very much Architecture, which I'm not too sure the Moss example depicted above is.

Maybe the Mercedes-Benz Museum really is Lost in Space Architecture.

family jewels meets chainsaw massacre

Dec 7, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
francklee

okay looking at this project by unstudio and thinking about who competes in these competitions, i did a little research and here is something interesting; asymptote designed this project for bmw over a year before they actually competed against unstudio for the mercedes project. looks like vanberkel built a bad knock off of a possible better project by asymptote if you ask me

Dec 7, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
francklee

looking at this project by unstudio and thinking about who competes in these competitions, i did a little research and here is something interesting; asymptote designed this project for bmw over a year before they actually competed against unstudio for the mercedes project. looks like vanberkel built a bad knock off of a possible better project by asymptote.

Dec 7, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

*anti-per bump*

Dec 7, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Suddenly all architecture looks beautiful compared to... you know.

Dec 7, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Very nice, but do you think it don't matter, how what hold it in the air is made --- what the structure is underneath, what savings and new options is to be found _within_ ?

Dec 7, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: