Archinect
anchor

cnc milling los angeles?

spaceghost

does anybody have a good resource for cnc milling in los angeles?

thanks

Dec 6, 05 2:31 pm
garpike

What size table?

Dec 6, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Also, what material?

Dec 6, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

the final model is going to be about 27 square feet. but it could and probably should for ease of transport be tiled. we would like it out of wood but anything durable would probably be fine. we will probably paint it. we just need something that can do the context massing. relatively simple.

Dec 6, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

There is a place outside of LA called, I believe, C-Tek or C-Tech that does large scale milling. I couldn't find any info on the web. Turns out everyone and there momma owns a company called C-Tek. I'll ask around and report back.

Dec 6, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

thanks.

Dec 6, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
http://www.modshop.com/home2.html

Also try the model shop, not sure if they have a CNC but they could point you in th eright direction. As I recall C-tech is wicked expensive.

Dec 6, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
http://www.ctcorporation.net/
Dec 6, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
gibberish

I've heard that CTEK's dead or transformed into something else. Try Spectrum Oak instead.

Dec 6, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I really only see the one milled project at Spectrum Oak. Have they done more?

What is CTEK now? Seems like way too successful a business to just die.

Dec 6, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
gibberish

I think CTEK focuses on prototyping for the automotive industry.

Spectrum Oak did that wall for Pugh+Scarpa (first portfolio image) and the walls at Patina Restaurant at the Disney Concert Hall for Belzberg. I'm working with them now for a project in my office. Nice guys--easy to work with and always open for experimentation...

Dec 6, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool, gibberish. Noted and bookmarked. Thanks.

Dec 6, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

damn you people with your interesting jobs!

Dec 6, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

My roommate just reported that CTek still does architecture projects, but warns that "they are deadly expensive..."

Dec 6, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic
www.ocip.com
Dec 6, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

spaceghost, any updates?

Dec 7, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
situ_nyc

check www.situstudio.com we're in brooklyn, but can ship cnc'd goods out west.

Jul 4, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

i actually passed the work off to another co worker. i can't remember who they finally went with. it was a matter of budget in the end. whoever came in with the lowest bid got the job. it was a big massing model of context so there was not much difference in the quality promised from one company to another.

thanks all for the help.

Jul 6, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: