Archinect
anchor

Construction Documents (or Design Docs) from 3D modeling? (Rhino, Cobalt...)

prendrefeu

Does anyone have any experience/advice on going from a 3D modeler to design docs? I've read that Cobalt (for Industrial Design people) does just that really well, however I'm familiar with AutoCAD (just hate it's 3D)... so does anyone have any good suggestions or experience in doing this?

Thank you.

Dec 1, 05 2:54 pm
DoYouWantCoffee

Revit's good if you're doing really, really conventional stuff.

Rhino's great if you "section" and "project" your design and export the resultant drawings as a .dxf or .dwg. (Menu command is curve->curve from objects->whatever).

Even form-z can kinda do the same thing, a little.

Dec 1, 05 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
ret

advice i have. You can use whichever program you are comfortable with, except, i would redraw all the drawings with correct/revised dimensions. I find that 3d modelling to 2d drawings almost always creates dimensions like 2'3-13/17", or 25.0848395 mm. now if thats the accuracy you're looking for.....i'm wasting your time.

p.s: i recently heard of one firm (sorry can't tell you the name), that made a kick ass installation, and fabricated it off site. Voila, when the pieces were put together, everything was a few inches, even feet off.
Take the trouble and redraw those 3d generated plans/sections. It will save you lots of trouble when the project goes into construction.

Dec 1, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
harold

"Revit's good if you're doing really, really conventional stuff."

Typical comment of someone that doesn't know anything about revit. The reason I never used revit before is because I thought the same way too. I used to import Rhino 3d geometry to autocad and it works good. Now i either make a complete 3d model in Revit or import blobby geometry into revit and let it create building components. Once that is done, it generates automatically elevations sections floorplans.

Now, im' not a revit salesman here so i would give you the adive to look at the other software too. Most people on this forum are anti BIM anyway, so here is a (comfort zone) list of sequences of software that colaberates well with each other, you can take th 3d geometry and get it 2d documented.

Rhino, to Catia, to autocad
Maya, to Fomz to VW works good too
Inventor, to autocad
Sketchup, to Archicad

Dec 2, 05 3:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: