Archinect
anchor

Illustrator help, please?

How do you justify text in Illustrator?
I'm running version 9.0. When I cut and paste text from Word or if I type text in, it looks as if it were in .txt format. Just long strings of text, each paragraph one line.
When I select the text object and click "Justify" in the Paragraph menu, nothing happens.
How do I solve this? Thanks.

Nov 30, 05 10:42 pm
myriam

I don't know it off the top of my head, but all I can say is that Illustrator has the most decent "help" book of any graphics program I've seen--I'd say to give that a shot first if you haven't already. (On a related note, the tutorial in it is also excellent.)

Nov 30, 05 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Pretty sure you have to have a shape that you're pasting the text into, before the Justify command will work. If you just paste in from a word proc., then you'll have to hit Return to break up the line.

Nov 30, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

just save text in WORD as *.doc...then PLACE in Illustrator as a *.doc.....ggaarrrrggghh (wookie yell)

Nov 30, 05 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

the text tool enters text as a single line.

the text shape tool enters text within a shape.

you are using the former, and you need the latter.
click and hold on the text tool to bring up the other text options. the text shape tool will let you draw a shape and then you can paste the text into it.

Dec 1, 05 12:30 am  · 
 · 
ret

click and drag the text tool to make a box/shape. then ctrl+v.
Then Alt+Ctrl+T to open the paragraph styles window (to justify).

Dec 1, 05 2:32 am  · 
 · 
DoYouWantCoffee

ret's advice is the best, but I might add that you could be inadvertanly pasting unwanted carriage returns. If you are deleting these troublesome guys, here's an easy work-around...
1. Copy your text from where-ever,
2. Open Notpad.exe (Standard on MS OS's)
3. Turn Format->Word Wrap off.
4. Paste your text into Notepad.
5. Copy the loooong single-line paragraphs out of Notepad and Paste them into illustrator.

(added since it wasn't explicit in the other posts)
6. The justify selections are Window->Type->Paragraph ... this usually pulls the "Paragraph" tag up in front of the "Type" tab on most peoples set-up.

Dec 1, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

ret has it. That is the easiest way.

Dec 1, 05 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
ret

yippee...oh ret...oh ret...thank you...oh ret!!!

Dec 1, 05 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

download the fonts

Dec 1, 05 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

thank you all. hidden keys with magical powers. who knew??

Dec 2, 05 7:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: