Archinect
anchor

quick revit question

gruen

hey quick question for people using REVIT -

can you use it in offline mode (like remotely on your laptop, w/o an internet connection)?

or does AutoDesk require that you keep "checking in" to see if your are licensed?

gratzi!

Nov 28, 05 3:10 pm
modo

It is possible. I have done a remote presentation from my laptop, projecting an image of the model as I rotate around. Then bringing up pre-defined views and sections. very effective.

Don't ask because I don't know how it was done. it was setup by my IT person.

Nov 28, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

what? I've never heard you had to be online to use Revit. Is that a new thing with 8.1? When I was using 7.0 in school, I never went online (my mac had the internet, Revit was on my laptop) and I was fine, but I'm not going to disconnect my workstation at the office to find out if the same is true for 8.1...hmmm...why's autodesk gotta be a license whore like that?

Nov 28, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Ok - my only knowlege is from using the demo version - checking disc...it says VERSION 4.5 (????) maybe my version is just so damn old...but it requires the "application express client" to be attached to the internet to run.

trying to determine if revit is a good solution for me or not. Planning on being on the go for the next year, and so don't want something that ties me to the internet.

Nov 28, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I used Revit 8 on the plane ride back and forth from Texas this week. You defiantly do not need to be connected to the net. I did however have to check out a license from my firm to use it on the laptop.

Nov 28, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

great - thanks all.

Nov 29, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well this isn't really a quick question but I found this thread and decided to use it....

I've got a drawing here in AutoCad (2006). It's got 3d objects in it. I want to bring it into Revit and preserve the 3d objects so I can render them. However, importing this file is not working nearly as seamlessly as it should (considering this is the same darn company).

I found the start of a solution here: autodesk forum..... but I'm a little confused as to the whole process. I mean apparently I am because it's not working as it says on the forum.

Computer whizes....where are you? Any thoughts?

Oct 25, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

What is the object you are bringin in? and why are you rendering in revit?

If it is walls/roofs or some ADT object revit wont recognize them. You'ld probably need to bring the object in as a mass family and then make the walls with the wall by face. The roof you might want to create instead of picking by face as that will restrict your ability to edit it later on.

You should also check how you brought the file in. Did you import it as a family or link/insert the cad file? If you imported it check you visability settings to make sure the class is visable in that view. If it was imported/linked try exploding or doing a partial expolde to see if it shows up.

I would also try searching on AUGI, Augi , seems to be a larger knowledge base there than Autodesk.

As to being connected to the net, when you install there should be an option for a standalone instalation that should work fine. No experiance with network installs so cant help you there.

Oct 25, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks Jrocc. I am fairly inexperienced with the program so I will try to figure it out, your suggestions were very helpful!

Oct 25, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: