Archinect
anchor

Corb in the NYT

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I think someone may have posted re: Corb and the Marseille riots earlier. Placing blame for societal ills on a single architect intrigues me. Check out the latest from the New York Times. I wonder if folks like Ludwig Hilbersimer are next in line for similar lines of attack.

Nov 27, 05 2:46 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Blaming a dead architect or two is easy: knock down the buildings and vilify them in the press, and instantly feel better about the problem.

The problem is racism, poverty, lack of education, laziness, and boredom.

Nov 27, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
switters

architects are the problem but we are culpable. somebody ultimately made decisions as they were drawing those french ghettos. anythign you do has risk in it. how much do you weigh those risks before you commit to drawing something? agfa8x: are you talking the architectural practice or the french suburbs when you say "The problem is racism, poverty, lack of education, laziness, and boredom."?

Nov 27, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

"Intellectual" name dropping, a growing trend among the so-called culturally knowledgeable. Like how many times did DJSpooky preface every name he dropped with "My favorite artist..."? Oh, and mediocre editorship.

Nov 27, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I did tune into that Video....yikes.....Disc spinning intellectualism is certainly not what drives my energy.

Nov 27, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

I love that at the end of the article, it says:

"Christopher Caldwell, a contributing writer, has recently written about Turkey for the magazine."

because clearly, if he's qualified to talk turkey, he's qualified to talk design.

Nov 28, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I would like to official name Frank Gerhy as the sole reason for the riots in France. If those people had an EMP/Bilbao/Disney, none of this would have happened.

I won't argue that design isn't part of the problem, but it certainly isn't the primary reason for the violence in France and most assuredly isn't the fault of some old dead dude whose 'tower in the park' utopian urbanism was more about designing for people than it was anything else. In my opinion. It's like blaming the Founding Fathers for the ills and woes that result from a Capitalist society.

Weak!

Nov 28, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
Squinty Mc Squinter Squint

Nov 28, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: