Archinect
anchor

mexico city blues

xtbl

i'm going to be in mexico city from dec. 11-30. although i've visited the city many times and am familiar with the city, i was wondering if there were any "chilango" archinecters out there who could inform me of any events happening (architectural, musical, cultural, etc.) or if you can point me in the direction of a site that would inform me. and yes, i know i can just use google, but i thought i'd ask here first ;)

Nov 26, 05 7:04 pm

i'm very interested too. i might be spending a few months there next year.

Nov 26, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i love mexico city. i can't wait for this school term to end and for me to get the hell out of here! i don't know what it is about that city that i love so much. the people, the smog, the streets, everything about it.

Nov 26, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

tope

Nov 28, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Frisch

I have lived here for over 20 years... so yes there is an archinecter chilango around here.

December can be a very crazy time down here, up until the 23rd expect crazyness all over the place...if you make it till there you will find one of the most peacefull and beautifull times to be down here.
About whats happening on those days it really depends on your main interests... the newest thing is the world cow-parade that just arrived. So you will find cows all over... Bellas Artes has architecture exhibits on the top level and beautiful Rivera paintings... there is big Rothko exhibit at the modern art museum.

And of course the permament things to see... Frida Kahlo´s house , aztec templo mayor , teotihuacan , xochimilco ( mexican venezia haha) zocalo at downtown, etc...

Let me know if you need mor info...

Dec 5, 05 1:04 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i know of all the big permanent things to see, i've seen most of them (i think the museo nacional de antropologia is my favorite). i'm more interested in finding out what kinds of "alternative" arts and music events that mght be going on.

Dec 5, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

just walk the streets and take in all the kick ass stencil art around.

Dec 5, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Anonymous

A day earlier and you could have caught Fussible of the Nortec Collective at the Museo Diego Rivera...

Dec 5, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i don't know if any of you guys have seen this before, but i noticed this one tree that was covered in little wads of gum. it looked pretty cool.

Dec 5, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

i like how every tree in Chapultepec park is numbered.

lots of great randomness in mexico city

Dec 5, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, i love it. can't wait 'till i leave this saturday night.

Dec 5, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
croquis

well, actually I´m living and studing in Mexico City so I can recomend you first, the clasic places:

Zócalo, Bellas Artes, Templo Mayor, Chapultepec

museums:

Museum of modern art (actually Rothko paintings), Museum Rufino Tamayo/an amaizing exhibition, Museo de Antropología/ pieces from Spain, Museo de San Ildefonso/an exhibition of Legorreta´s work,

also there´s another events for example at the CNA (Centro Nacional de las Artes) and Centro Cultural Universitario or Galeria de Arte Público Siqueiros.

other places, maybe Coyoacán (historical zone), Tlalpan (is like Coyoacán but smaller and amaizing at night)

also you can walk and appreciate the city for example at night, Insurgentes, Reforma.

Nightclubs: Hard Rock in Polanco, events with rockbands at Lunario del Auditorio Nacional (very cool) also in Polanco.

I have more information, but I´m not sure if it would interest you, I friend of me work planing and organizing events, so if you would like to receive, drop me a mail, and I´ll send you, also you can visit my blog at:

http://arquitecturayarte.blogspot.com/

I´ll upload information.

have a nice day, and enjoy the city. You never finish to know complete!!

Dec 6, 05 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The city is MASSIVE. How long will you be there? I was there for about 4 days and never stopped traveling. I think I saw 0.2% of it.

Dec 7, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: