Archinect
anchor

people who use movie quotes as a basis for conversation

le bossman

johnson?

Nov 27, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

pinstripeprincess has hit the point exactly. quoting movies means you don't have to quote yourself. and if there is one unifying characteristic of all the heterosexual males that i know (including myself) it is the desire to talk without actually communicating, especially if said communication would involve something emotional, personal, or anything that would open oneself to the perception of being "vulnerable." thus, thanks to the coen brothers and family guy we can have whole conversations and say absolutely nothing at all. perfect!

Nov 28, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i don't think it's so much of an issue of not being able to find the words. rather, in a social context it serves as a gauge for someone speaking. if you throw out a quote from something that isn't terribly ubiquitous and someone can relate, you can recognize this and you and those who figure it out have something in common and you all get to laugh at the same joke.

... i guess this is all coming from a guy who's handle actual is a movie quote...

Nov 29, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

My last Halloween costume worked on the same premise. If you recognized it, there's a fair chance I could talk to you for at least a small part of one drunken night.

Nov 29, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm just amazed that this thread hasn't devolved into one big quote fest. I probably couldn't keep up. Especially since I lost my copy of The Big Lebowski! Humph.

Nov 30, 05 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Apparently you're not privey to the new shit.

Nov 30, 05 1:27 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Banana hammock!

Nov 30, 05 2:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

have you seen my credence tapes?

May 9, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
May 9, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Wouldn't hold out much hope for the tape deck though.
Or the Creedence.

May 10, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 

this looks like a good place to give vado props for a brilliant synthesis of the imptce-of-the-individual-relative-to-the-rest-of-the-world conversation in the david blaine thread:

rick blaine: the problems of two people dont amount to a hill of beans in this world.

brilliant.

May 10, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

"Let me be the architect, I can do it! " - George Costanza (Seinfeld)

May 10, 06 9:13 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

I'm not a fan of movie quote conversationalists... I also get sick of people asking me "what movie was that from?" any time i manage to say anything remotely funny or original. Sure, sometimes a particular situation has an ideal quote- but relying on pop quotes to make it through the day has become a tired disease.

May 10, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

I'm not a fan of movie quote conversationalists... I also get sick of people asking me "what movie was that from?" any time i manage to say anything remotely funny or original. Sure, sometimes a particular situation has an ideal quote- but relying on pop quotes to make it through the day has become a tired disease.

May 10, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
quietus

AUSTIN: What's you point, Vanessa?

May 11, 06 4:15 am  · 
 · 
zoroaster

I spent several weeks going back & forth with a friend from school over email with quotes from "Back To The Future"... just volleying back and forth. It was kind of fun at first, but after a while it got silly (and certainly it was a little dorky to start with). I was consulting a script on the web just to keep it going, after a while.

I guess in that case it was just nostalgia.

May 12, 06 3:28 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

...if only you've seen what I saw through your eyes...

May 12, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This afternoon our billing and accounts guy decided to liven things up by conducting a Movie Quote Trivia Contest via email, to everyone but the bosses of course. His email stated that we would get one each at 2 pm, 3 pm, and 4 pm and "The first quote will be from a comedy from the mid 90’s. The second will be from a so called “chick flick.” The third will be from a drama." The rule was that we had to state the movie, and the character that used the quote.

Well the first one was from Clerks, and our office's guy-in-a-local-band got that one, no problem.

The second one was from Notting Hill, and I'm afraid to say I knew it. I replied with the movie but didn't remember her name in it, but before I could respond, one of the guys behind me won. Apparently he took the entire quote, put it into Google, and got the character name and movie, right away.

This led to his win being sent to the "Movie Trivia High Court of Appeals". Hilarity ensued. We banned the use of the internet in the game.

The third quote was from Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson's character. Except nobody could remember that his name was Jules in the movie, so several people resorted to IMDB and then admitted that they cheated. The only thing I could remember was the name of his wallet!

We then had a "reply-off" for the remaining Reese's cups. Score!

All in all, a great way to waste a Friday afternoon. Also, my story would have been funnier if I had told you in person. Written down it just seems anti-climactic. Sorry. Good time though.

And the moral of this story? I've decided that movie quotes are good for something, and people who use them as a basis for conversation are merely conditioning for the time when it really means something. For instance, when you have the chance to obtain candy. A worthy cause, I'd say.

May 12, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

willy wonka: candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!

it's friday at 5:00.

May 12, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

I think people like the subtle smirk or reaction people have when they too understand the origin of the quote. perhaps it's because people like to feel like they are somehow part of something bigger. It lets people define themselves and their identity in society. we do this all the time in music, film, sport, archinect. it's just an inside joke of everyday life. then again, i find the guy at my work who constantly quotes the simpsons on a daily basis annoying.

May 12, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

cool, j. i get free beer for trivia on mondays. i'm the weak link with movie quotes, though. i know literature and (go figure) architecture.

May 12, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Eve: You spoke to my analyst about this behind my back? How could you! This is humiliating!

Joey: Renata, Renata! All I hear about is Renata!

Renata: Right! Drink yourself unconcious. That's the sort of writer's cliche you've never had trouble adjusting to.

Joey: Why do you stick with me? I give you nothing but grief!

Joey: At the centre of a sick psyche is a sick spirit.

Joey: What happens to those of us who can't create?

Joey: I feel the need to express something, but I don't know what it is I want to express. Or how to express it.

Joey: She's a vulgarian!

Hotel Collagio: This is a great party.

Nov 23, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow a thread from 2 years ago today, nice. i have a hard time quotin mooveez, i don't store dialog too long for me to care, but i can recognize quotes from them, strange me-thinks.

i hate cliches.

Nov 23, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

"The calla lilies are in bloom again..."

Nov 23, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Stranger 1: Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in.

Stranger 2: Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?

Stranger 1: They call me Mr. Tibbs.

Stranger 2: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

Stranger 1: Time for a bit of the old ultraviolence.

Stranger 2: I'd hate to take a bite out of you. You're a cookie full of arsenic.

Stranger 1: I’ve always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Stranger 2: Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Stranger 1: I want to be alone.

Stranger 2: Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Stranger 1: I stick my neck out for nobody.

Stranger 2: A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Stranger 1: Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.

Stranger 2: Take the gun, leave the cannoli.

Stranger 1: The dude abides.

Stranger 2: I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Nov 24, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: