Archinect
anchor

AMD dual core 64 bit processors

paperboy

I was just wondering if any body is running Rhino or other 3d programs with the dual core 64 bit setup. I know that with windows 64 you need to run an emulater for the 32 bit programs, what I want to know if it runs any better than a reg 64 bit or 32 bit system, even with the emulater. Any info would be appreciated such as stability, render speed etc.

Nov 18, 05 8:29 pm
Lord Auch

The opterons dont need an emulator they run 32 and 64 bit. Check out highend3d.com 's hardware board and maya trnder results.

Nov 18, 05 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
paperboy

It's windows 64 operating system that needs an emulator for 32bit programs. so with rhino I would have to use that emulator. I've checked out other discussion boards but they mostly test how they work with video games, which is not really and indication on how it would work with rendering and nurbs modeling.

Nov 18, 05 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I have AMD 64 bit processors in both of my PCs (Dual Opterons in Desktop, Athlon in laptop). BUT, I don't use 64 bit Windows. I was thinking about upgrading, but from what I've read, it's not really worth it unless your software is 64 bit and if you have more than 4 GB of RAM. Plus, Rhino is pretty dumb, it's made to work on all PCs and has very modest minimum requirements. It doesn't work that much better on my desktop than on my laptop. Now rendering is hella faster on my desktop, but the actual modeling performance doesn't see much of an increase.

Nov 19, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: