Archinect
anchor

Mapping Process/Technique

"The Co-op Guy"

Hey all,

I have been working on a comp in NY and am having some difficulty in producing any quality maps. My undergrad program didn't really have any focus or guidance on this, so studio maps all came from Google or City Websites, which works for some purposes. For this however, I need something more specialized. I have looked into Mapnik and found TileMill to show some beautiful results, but am under a time limit and would rather not learn how to program map renderings at this point (although I do for the future).
Does anyone who has made map-diagrams have any suggestions? I have heard of importing Google maps into Autocad (and doing a trace?) but not sure about the process. 
Any guidance on methods/technique would be much appreciated.

Apr 13, 11 7:34 pm

I tend to try and find city departments (often the department of transportation or of land use) that may publish vector maps for download from their websites.

Apr 13, 11 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Depending on what you're looking for, Open Street Map can be a gold mine - you can export to PDF to bring into your favorite vector software for manipulation/overlay work. Other than that do what Erin recommended.

Apr 14, 11 8:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: