Archinect
anchor

B. Arch vs BS. Arch

Simmons

So what is the difference between the two. I didn't know there was two different programs that one could enter into until today. Just wondering which one was better and any major differences they have. Thanks

Oct 31, 05 4:49 pm
bLAyer

That's just B.S. as in Bachelor of Science and as far as I remember it's not a professional degree, hence you would need an M. Arch to get licenced eventually.

Oct 31, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

B Arch
5 year
professional degree
accredited by NCARB (on its way out)

BS and BA
4 year
non-professional
not accredited

Oct 31, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
rajish

wow! how helpful

Oct 31, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

time to take your meds again rajish.

Oct 31, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
A

I take issue with the common perception that the BArch is going to dissappear. For one, there are still far more BArch programs out there than MArch ones. Additionally, I feel the schools that are converting their 5 year BArch programs into 5 year MArch programs are devaluing the MArch and not teaching anything more than the BArch offered.

The BArch has been the backbone degree of this profession for a long time. It's still a very valid and good degree to have.

Oct 31, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
TSCOMG

try the association of collegiate schools of architecture website, for the specifics on individual programs, and what the various degrees buy you.

http://www.acsa-arch.org/

Oct 31, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

The B Arch is a Bachelor's of Architecture. The BS Arch is a Bachelor of Science with a major in architecture. Only a B Arch and M Arch from an accredited university allow you to go on obtain your architectural license. These types of degrees are also known as professional degrees.

The B Arch IS on it's way out, being replaced by what is called the 4+2, a 4 year BS Arch (pre-professional) plus a 2 year M Arch (professional). You have to continue with the M Arch to get licensed.

Check out the NAAB's website, National Architectural Accrediting Board for a list of accredited degree programs in USA and Canada.

Oct 31, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

UF offers a BD Arch, a four year Bachelor of Design in Architecture, which requires a 2 year MArch...

Oct 31, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Technically, the BArch is not on the way out. However, NAAB will stop accrediting new BArch programs come 2010. Which means all BArch programs are still valid and will remain to be so. (With ongoing NAAB accreditation of course, remember its only new programs they aren't continuing too accredit) There are many more BArch programs out there than 4+2. AND the process schools have to go through to change their degrees (the bureaucracy, economics, and politics of all) makes it really slow. So if this does happen, it's going to be something you'll have to discuss with your great-great grand children.

Oct 31, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Simmons

Wow, thank you everyone for all the information. I am currently in the BS program because that is all that was offered to me at my university. Does anyone know if you can switch from a BS to a BA? and if so what colleges/universities in Michigan offer the BA? Thanks.

Oct 31, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Do you mean B Arch? BA is Bachelor of Arts, which I am not sure you would want to switch to one. If you do mean B Arch, what made you decide you would like to get a B Arch instead of BS and M Arch? Just curious.

Oct 31, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Simmons

Yes sorry I mean B Arch. I don't know yet if that is the rout I want to take, just want to know all my options, or if I even have any. If I stick with the 4+2 then I am definetly going to a different university anyways.

Oct 31, 05 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Just stick with the 4 plus 2, it just means you have to get your masters too.

Oct 31, 05 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I did the 4+2 different universities route. I am pleased with my decision. One advantage to "taking your time" is that with the 4+2, you can spend more time outside of architecture during those first 4 years. Furthermore, during the MArch you get more freedom to focus on your interests (which may involve stepping slightly outside of architecture).

As TSCOMG suggested above, reading the description of the different programs at ACSA can help a great deal in demystifying the various degrees.

Oct 31, 05 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

my understanding has always been (and it may not be right at all) that the BArch was "being phased out" voluntarily by schools choosing to move to a 4+2 program to get additional tuition money and that the B Arch was more for folks who knew they wanted to go into architecture straight out of high school, whereas the M Arch was more for folks who chose to study architecture later on in many (but not all, or even nec. a majority of) cases. I think the 5-year B Arch is a wonderful program and I'm enjoying my experience with it very much. I wish it wasn't considered to somehow be less than the M Arch programs these days. I also agree that M Arch programs should be reserved for something higher, none of this 5-year M Arch stuff if that is really going on.

Oct 31, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Karl_00

I'm really confused weather to go for a B. Arch, BS or even BA. The architectural field is really competitive these days and i would like the best degree i can get out there, even if that means working harder. B. Arch colleges are more expensive and i would like to know if getting a B. Arch and an M. Arch is better than BS and M.arch or the its same.

Jul 24, 18 7:14 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
This is still a question?

Do you want to teach, or practice?
Jul 24, 18 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Karl_00

​well for now i just want to practice it. And yeah it is for me, i don't have neither a school advisor nor someone i could ask to know the difference. All i want to know is if the 4+2 better or worse than B. Arch

Jul 25, 18 8:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's a 13y old thread. Take the B.arch path and spend the least possible on tuition

Jul 25, 18 8:17 am  · 
1  · 
heeroyui

Take the Engineer route, you can sign and seal plans just like an architect can.

Jul 25, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
-FT-

Hey guys I am really confused i think you can help me alot! 

The 4+2 can be licensed architect? Or only teaching? 

Like I am really really confused.. 

And why there is BS arch? What can I do with it if I didn't take the M arch? 

And there is universities who have B arch but not accredited by the NAAB? 

And as an architect, can i be a project manager? 

If you can help me I would really appreciate it!

Aug 31, 18 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

4+2 Can be an architect, it's an MArch

BSArch is for those not sure about being licensed, offers a path for MArch.

BSArch can be a PM

There are some programs that have MArchs that aren't NAAB I believe Cranbrook is one such school; ideally for those with BArch and more creatively minded.

PM is what I am, and I'm an Architect, but you don't need to be an Architect to be a PM

Sep 1, 18 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
-FT-

I am sorry I meant 

"There is universities who have M Arch but not accredited by NAAB

Aug 31, 18 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Unaccredited M.Archs are 2nd professional "post-pro" programs, for those who already have a B.Arch, or a 1st professional M.Arch. They don't usually accept people without a B.Arch.

4+2 programs generally allow an accelerated first-professional M.Arch, for someone with a pre-professional architecture-related undergrad education - so yes, as long as that M.Arch is NAAB accredited it will cover the education portion for licensing purposes.

Sep 1, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
-FT-

Guys you've helped me so much Thank you!!! 

Is there universities who have BS.Arch without the M.Arch! So not 4+2! Only the 4! 

Or it has to be a together in the same university? Because the university only has Bachelor of science in architecture! 

+how do I know that this university have the 4?? If the program called BS.Arch that means this is the first 4 right? 

Because I am afraid that if you want to take the 4+2 then both has to be in the same university! 

And should I take the M.Arch after the BS.Arch immediately? Or it is okay if I took the M.Arch after more than 6 years for example? 

People with BS.Arch can work in in an architectural offices? And design? Or not? 

What can a person with BS.Arch work? 

One more question! If I took an unaccredited M.Arch! Can I take the NAAB accreditation from exams only? Without studying something that accredited! 

Sorry for alot of questions but really confused as a new student.. I appreciate your help guys.

Sep 3, 18 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
-FT-

So the last part what I meant is that: 

Can I take BS.Arch then take an M.Arch that not accredited by NAAB, and take the NAAb accreditation by exams?? 

So the unaccredited M.Arch that I took can cover the subjects and materials? "Because I will take NAAB accreditation by exams!" 

Can that be done or not? 

+If I want to see the BS.Arch and M.Arch study plan where can I find it? 

Sep 3, 18 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
maisaraabdulrahman

Hello everyone !

I am planning to study my bachelor degree in architecture I am very passionate about it , BUT I am very confused !!

I have just found that there is many types of architecture majors and I don't want to spend my time and my passion because lake of information and tiny mistakes.  

If any one Could help me I will really appreciate it !!

--------------------------------------------------

- what is the difference between B.Sc in architecture and B.Arch?

- Is there a certain number of credits should I take?   My program that I will study offers (84Cr -primary core) (24Cr -complementary studies ) (12Cr -university core) = 120 credits . Is that enough for a 3 years program - B.Sc in architecture ?

- well, I am planning to study my B.Sc in arch in a university called "Taylors university' in Malaysia , its a high ranked university but it is NOT NAAB ,  Is it possible to  complete my M.Arch in a NAAB university ,  in Canada or UK ?  

Oct 16, 22 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: