Archinect
anchor

need renderer for rhino

jaja

I'm looking for a render software to render rhino models. I know that rhino 4 will incorporate brazil and there will be some stand alone compatible render packages available in the near future, but I need something for the meantime. The power translator would be an alternative to import models into max/viz, but not many people are happy with the results. I've search the web for accurender, lightwave, v-ray, final render, maxwell render, cd4, maya but non imports rhino seamlessly. The only positive two option I've heard is to import models into catia or solidworks and then to any rendering app.

Oct 23, 05 1:57 pm
Hasselhoff

You can use Flamingo. It's slow and nowhere as good as Max. But it's an option.

Oct 23, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

You could try a third party app to transform files to Max.

http://www.okino.com/conv/filefrmt_3dimport.htm

That's the best suggestion, other than waiting for Final Render, Vray, or Brazil (should be soon for all of them).

Oct 24, 05 8:07 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

You are right abotu the Brazil for Rhino 4, they jsut released the first beta for Rhino 4 so it will probably be another year before Rhino 4 is released, the Brazil plug-in should come at the same time. In the meantime, Flamingo is the same as Accurender, both are made by McNeel, so if Accurender's results are acceptable to you then Flamingo will do the trick. You can also download an app called Rhinoman that is supposed to port Rhino models over to Renderman and Air.

Oct 25, 05 12:50 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Maxwell render sucks, dont waste your time with it... Def wait for Brazil

Oct 25, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
cgrammens

Have you tried exporting the Rhino model as a .3ds and then importing it into Max? I have done this many times with very good results.

Oct 25, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
jaja

No, i haven't. I'll give it a try.

Oct 25, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Maxwell's not bad just really slow. (and for the record it does "import", as you say, seamlessly.) Seen some renderings that rival brazil.
V-ray also has a plugin for rhino.
Flamingo will do fine unless your really going for insane renderings.
/yes I know that blasphemy

Oct 25, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

No, Mawell sucks, sorry. It wont render transparant objects with accuracy, refraction is grainy and not to mention Final Render Stage 2 cranks out full GI solutions at a 1/32 of the time.

Oct 25, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

JohnProlly - what the hell are you talking about? it handles glass better than almost all of the renderers (I like brazil's caustics better though). I'll agree it tends to be a bit grainy at lower levels (i.e. default) but someone here's been using it to great effect, just requires a little tweaking of the settings that's all.

Oct 25, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

woah... sorry to stumble upon this thread so late...
johnprolly: i'm totally curious, wtf are you talking about? i realize this is a subjective thing, what looks most real to whoever, but... i haven't seen any renderer do a better job with transparency than maxwell.
there's a pretty good discussion of this stuff on the maxwell render forum (which you can access through the maxwell render web page). several folks with waaay too much time on their hands are posting examples of different renderer/3dapp combos using the same scenes. and it's not all a "maxwell love fest" either.
i'll grant you that the beta version is crazy slow at producing finished renderings. but, allegedly, the 1.0 version (due out next week), has been tuned for serious speed. Next Limit (maxwell's authors) claim something like a 10x increase in render speed.
we'll see about that... hope it's true.
and now, i will completely rendergeek-out by offering the following unsolicited opinions, re: other render pkg/3d app combos.
i tried the rhinoman/renderman combo: hated it... just about broke my mind trying to get it to do anything useful.
brazil/3dsmax: i like some of the results i've been able to achieve, i don't like spending five hours tweaking the settings to get a good image.

Nov 19, 05 12:25 am  · 
 · 
trace™

JP - are you using fR Stage 2?

Mission St - even at 10x faster, that still puts it hours longer than the competition. We'll have to se, though. The new versions of VRay and fR are looking pretty nice and have many of Maxwell's features.

Nov 19, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

trace, i'll have to take another look at VRay and fR... my memory is dim.

the render time of maxwell *now* (the beta release) doesn't bother me much. in about 10 minutes you can get a good picture of where your render is heading (as far as lights & materials). then crank up the resolution and render time and let it run overnight. if (*if*) the 1.0 release can cut those times down to one minute and say 30 minutes (for a final render), i'll be happy.
the main thing though, for me, is that it's just so damn easy to use (setting up lights and materials), and the results look ... real!
there are plenty of downsides: wierd interface bugs, nearly nonexistent documentation, etc. but i don't know...
i strongly suspect we're going to be hearing a lot about, and seeing a lot of renderings from maxwell in the next few years.

Nov 22, 05 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: