Archinect
anchor

Architecture Internships 1st Year Student

ether-or

I just completed my first year at NJIT for a 5 yr program. 

Should I bother looking for internships yet? If so, any suggestions convincing a firm to hire a student with only a year of college education? 

Apr 12, 11 3:08 pm
lletdownl

It would be hugely beneficial for you if you could... it would put you ahead of your peers in very significant ways...  if you have any connections at offices in your area i would absolutely contact them and see if you can get yourself in, even if its extremely remedial work... if you dont need to be making real money in your summer job, id say 100% go for it...

Apr 12, 11 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
orgufiel

It's never too early to start. I just got accepted to Pratt's M.Arch 1 program and I currently intern at an architecture firm. It's been a great experience thus far and I received my bachelors in business management so I'm pretty sure you'll find something.

Apr 12, 11 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the other thing id say about this... once you have graduated and gotten your first job, what school you went too, what your GPA was, or even how good your studio projects were drop from high importance to virtually no importance... job experience is the be all end all for the vast majority...

so... if you can get yourself some substantial job experience ( which 5 summers of interning could very well be) you put yourself in really the ideal situation when the time comes to find your first "real" job upon graduation...
Apr 12, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

It is wise to network as an undergrad, I also think that it would benefit you to try to find work directly with a GC, or even construction labor for a bit, and the rest of the time at architecture offices.  I had other responsibilities that kept me from working for architecture offices or gc's. Though I will say that I did notice that students working summers, and especially working through out the regular semester, showed a dramatic decline in the quality of their work in studio, and also an attitude that doing the minimum effort is ok.  I did know one student that networked with tons of people and only worked part time, and I would say that his network grew more through school connections. So, I guess you should make that decision based on your own personality we are all different after all.  Good luck.

Apr 13, 11 3:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: