Archinect
anchor

$cholarship vs Debt - For those deciding between 2 Schools

burningman

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/education/12college.html?_r=1&hp

School is a few years, debt is forever.

So when you can't decide between a full ride vs 150-200k debt, it's okay to ask. But remember there's no such a thing as a stupid question - just stupid people.

Apr 12, 11 1:42 pm
Wilma Buttfit

The article states that the average student debt load is $24k. That actually sounds quite manageable.

Apr 12, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

24k is manageable. I doubt that it the norm for most arch students today who typically spend a 5 year min in school. The average prospective student who comes on archinect can't figure sort out the following: (Jeopardy tune and put on your "critical thinking" hats...)

Free ride to Rice
200K debt at Harvard
150k debt at Yale
1/2 tuition at Upenn

Must be something in an architecture education that takes away rationalism.

Apr 12, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for the link...i've been trying to keep with with NYT's ongoing coverage of this broad topic...

in response to the discussion here - it's a tough place to be when you're in the middle of it.  while it seems silly from the outside, there is a lot pushing students toward schools that would put them into a mega debt situation.  i recently met with several prospective students in Shanghai (accepted to WUSTL, as well as several other schools).  Most were torn between an Ivy League schools that had good brand recognition in China, but didn't offer nearly the same financial assistance as places like RISD, SCI-Arc, WUSTL, etc.  While many sober-minded people would easily see the problem with taking on 100k or more in debt for an architecture degree from a school that may or may not be marginally "better" than another school, it's tough to see it that clearly when you're intoxicated.  I had the same trouble when making the decision myself.  Fortunately, sobriety won and I'll be leaving a great school in about a month with something very close to the totally manageable "average" debt written above.

Apr 12, 11 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
med.

No debt obviously.

Apr 15, 11 11:46 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Yeah, 24K sounds manageable.  Too bad that according to the article about 2/3 of students leave with debt.  So 1/3 do not (scholorships, rich parents, etc).  "Average in" these people who do not, and the average student is at 24K in debt.  The actuality is the average person who has taken on debt (only the 2/3rds included here) are in over their eyeballs in it.  I'd like to see that number.  Only those people who have to go into debt.  The other 1/3rd do not interest me.

Apr 15, 11 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

OTF are you saying that the average debt is really $32,000 for 2/3 of students and $0 for the rest?  I will probably read the article later...nothing like a little archinect to distract you from homework.

Apr 15, 11 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: