Archinect
anchor

south africa

pinstripeprincess

i'll be in south africa in a couple months, but i'd love it if anyone could give me a heads up on things to see/do other than safari's. i'll be there for 3 weeks, but i'm visiting a friend in stellenbosch and i want to give him a heads up about places i'd like to eventually end up at.

thoughts anyone?
places to go do include small countries nearby!

Oct 6, 05 1:11 pm
Cameron

Cape Town. Go up to Table Mountain when the mist is rolling off the top. Stay at the Ashanti Hostel - as well as a laid back atmosphere you will find out whats going on.

go up to KwaZulu Natal - St. Lucia, Richards Bay, go see the Siyathemba pitch (I'm biased)

Stay away from Jo'Burg and Durban. I'm not a great fan of either city but if I had too I'd go to Durban.

Check out the lagoon in Knysna -- http://www.go2africa.com/top_destinations/knysna.asp -- touristy but can be very nice.

for some architectural oddities check out the tincan villages in lethoto
http://www.lesotho-tours.de/indexCanHouses.html

Oct 6, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

Go on a shark dive in Gansbaai, have tea in Kirstenbosch, windsurf at Big Bay, paraglide off Table Mountain or Lion's Head (tandem if you want to)

Drive up to Namibia - get a few days of desert serenity

Oct 6, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

Go visit wine farms, take a trip to robben island, drive up the north coast and then along the garden route to the east coast.

Climb Table Mountain and Lions head and take a drive down to Cape Point.

Namibia is great, go and see the Fish River Canyon at Ai-Ais.

Oct 7, 05 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

so have you figured out where you are going?

Nov 7, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

not quite yet since i've been a bit busy with this whole work/school/life balance... i've been a bit complacent though mostly because i'm visiting a friend down there and he'll be taking me to most of the places he thinks is worth going to.

but on top of that... i've realized that i'm not there nearly for a long enough time that anything a plane ride away from capetown won't suck up my time.

table mountain is definitely on the list, the tin can villages while interesting unfortunately won't make it.... i'll be hitting up nelspruit/leopard's creek almost immediately when i get in and if that's not enough serenity for me then i'll see if i can drag my friend up to namibia because i've seen photos and it looks so incredibly serene. i love the idea of a ship graveyard.....

i will definitely be posting when i get back! but i don't leave for another 40 days :( new year's on a beach... oh yeah baby, beats these cold cold canadian winters.

Nov 7, 05 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'll be there late December. though up near Kurger and Mozambique...

Cheers,
Cameron

Nov 7, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Definately skip Jo'Burg. I was there for three days (way too long). The Apartheid Museum was really cool, though. Amazing building, amazing content. But that was the only cool thing we did there.

I hear the dunes of Namibia are incredible, but once you see that there isn't much else there. Victoria Falls are beautiful.

I would have liked to have more time in Cape Town. I think you've missed whale season, but maybe you could see the sharks?

Ask your friend to take you to where the Indian Ocean and Atlantic meet. You can see a seam in the ocean where the currents are pushing up against each other. Pretty cool.

You'll see plenty of tin can towns if you do any driving on the highways at all. At least, that is what we experienced in the middle and northern parts of South Africa.

Oh, and I think the national botanical gardens is somewhere around there, too.

Nov 8, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: