Archinect
anchor

Best Donut Shop?

MysteryMan

Where? Why?
Is it 'cause of the bldg/ arch? Or is it for the actual taste? Or something else?

I like the Rube Goldberg-ness of Krispy Kreme, but I like Dunkin Donuts better. I wish we still had more independent shops 'round here. But whaddya expect from this, to steal a term, 'backwater'?

Oct 4, 05 11:08 pm
dia

Question: Krispy Kreme is now in Australia, and I'm sure that it will also come to NZ [we also have Dunkin Donuts]. The question is, should I buy a Krispy Kreme Franchise?

Oct 4, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
AP

not sure it's the best, but I am interested in the hybrid Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins. I like to call them "Dunkin Robbins." Kinda sounds like a British actor...

here in Orlando (and surely elsewhere) there are also the following:

Taco Hut / Pizza Bell
Long John Bell / Taco Silvers
Kentucky Fried Bell / Taco Chicken
Burger Bell / Taco King
(evidently Taco Bell is the whore of fast food chains.)

ya, tangent...I know...

Oct 4, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Mister Donuts. Tofu donuts > any

Oct 4, 05 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

Mister Donuts indeed......its all about the cream puffs

Oct 4, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

There's a little spot in Philly called "Lil' Spot"

They serve just donuts and coffee out of a window directly onto the sidewalk.

I never made it there when they were actually open, but it lives in my mind as the Platonic ideal donut shop.

Oct 5, 05 1:46 am  · 
 · 
o+

Randy's donuts in inglewood. everytime i drive by i have to stop,
it's rare when 'architecture' makes you smile, and the bearclaws are actually really good.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/donut.html

Oct 5, 05 2:20 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Randy's donuts is pretty funny but I have to go with Dunkin Donuts for best donuts AND coffee. They have great coffee.

Hey, AP, have you ever seen a Kentucky Taco Hut? I'm sure they exist but I think I've only ever seen 2 of the 3, I think.

Oct 5, 05 8:15 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

reminds me of a simpson's episode... someones car gets smushed by the large donut that has rolled off the roof.

Oct 5, 05 9:12 am  · 
 · 

when cafe du monde reopens....beignets. hands down.

Oct 5, 05 9:27 am  · 
 · 
gruen

when you see taco bell and pizza hut together - think "pepsi" that's the link there. It's not just cool, it's also big business. ;)

Oct 5, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 

ah, yes, multibranding. pepsi doesn't own taco bell and pizza hut anymore, though, gruen. the company that spun off from pepsi was tricon, now called YUM!

tricon was reference to the three brands: taco bell, pizza hut, kfc. (and wonderk, i think i have seen a three-brand store here in ky) when they were looking into pulling in long john silver's, a&w, backyard burgers, etc. they needed a non-3 name.

YUM! is based here in louisville. and i've never had a donut at any of their stores...

Oct 5, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
gruen

YUM!

I think I'm coming down with a "peptic ulcer" ;)

Oct 5, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
e

bob's donuts on polk @ sacramento in san francsico.

Oct 5, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

voodoo donuts in portland, or.

Oct 5, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
AP

oh man, I've never seen the triple...that's just crazy.

Oct 5, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
st.

re: pics in o+'s link

i've never, nor will i ever, eat a donut with such dimpling.

Oct 5, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Oct 5, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Oct 5, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I liked that KK on Ponce better before it got renovated. There was more gratification knowing that you got your hot ones even though you could've been 'offed' by the many nuts in there. Definitely got us through some all-nighters, though.

Oct 5, 05 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
A

I like them Tom Thumb mini donuts you get at the fair. Haven't had them in years but they sure do sound tasty right about now.

I'm surprised none of the north of the border archinecters are saying Tim Hortons. Personally I think it's an overrated Dunkin Donuts.

My favorite is Dunkin Donuts, but since there are none nearby me, I go to the local grocery store for that dozen of donuts before a meetings.

Oct 5, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

top pot donuts in seattle. it's in a pretty nice bldg too.

Oct 5, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

perk's on the halifax waterfront. the groovy people go there rather than to Tim Hortons.

Oct 5, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'll add a bit of donut trivia that, since it's from my head, may or may not be true. Did you know that Dunkin Donuts got its name from the architect for the original rollout? If you know differently, say so. I am just repeating something I ran across years ago, but don't recall where.

Oct 5, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

I hate Krispy Krme, but there aint nothing better than a KK hot donut at 4:00AM while going home from studio.

Oct 5, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Should i get a KK franchise or not? You guys seem to really love donuts...

Oct 5, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
AP

seriously q...

during my last 2 years of undergrad there was a KK between studio and my house. bad news. I no longer eat them.

Oct 5, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Mike's Donuts in Everett, MA.

If you are in the Boston area, stop what you are doing right now and go.

Oct 5, 05 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Diabase, Get a bunch of pictures of old KKs. Send in donut-eatin' spies to analyze the Donut-O-Tron that all KKs seem to have. Then do your own
architectural donut shop. I doubt anybody in NZ is gonna mind!

Oct 5, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
AP
"architectural donut-o-tron"
Oct 5, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

That's Corporate America for ya. Even the Donut makers have gotta
look sinister! What ever happened to "It's time to make the donuuuuts."

Oct 5, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
postal

dunkin donuts wins on coffee alone....

mmmm.....

the only place i've had better was in costa rica

Oct 5, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
postal

unless your DD sucks...or you get the bottom of the pot...

suprisingly good for a chain...

and i hate chains

Oct 5, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Excellent thinking Mysteryman, why borrow when you can steal!

Oct 5, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

F-in 'A', Bubba.

Oct 6, 05 10:20 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i used to love the sheer ubiquity of dunkin donuts when i lived in boston...there was three of them within two blocks of my apartment.

of course, i can't forget hanging out in the parking lot of yum yum tastey donuts on michigan ave in detroit. there's a topless bar across the street if memory serves me correctly. and doesn't former world series great mickey lolich own a donut shop in the north burbs? something along the lines of that hockey player's donut shop in the wayne's world movie.

i don't know why i know any of this since i pretty much loathe donuts. i much prefer a good poptart to start my day - yummy! the poptart website is surprisingly good and addictive.

Oct 6, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
surface

I live by

I don't eat doughnuts so I can't say out of experience, but it looks like it would have good things.

Oct 6, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

ich bin ein berliner.

Oct 6, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
benny

i used to like Allie's in North Kingston when i was a tot. their donuts never made me get gas like most donuts.

i love the beignets you can get in some chinese bakeries in paris.

Oct 6, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

#1 Tim Hortons - I gotta have my "maple raised" and "maple crulers"... mmm...
#2 Country Style - the best donut shop coffee
#3 Coffee Time

Oct 7, 05 1:18 am  · 
 · 
labrat

This thread betrays the donut ignorance of so many of you young architects. As always, it's form in lieu of function. We need some remedial donut modernism training.

This is because Dunkin Donuts sells shitty donuts, and Tim Hortons are somehow the same only worse. Krispy Kreme is unwholesome. And Randy's Donuts: good architecture, mediocre product, but closer to the mark.

The simple fact is that any average donut shop among the 4000 in the greater Los Angeles area serves a better donut than most of you are likely to have ever tasted. Because the Los Angeles donut is tops. Maybe your cities would have as many donut shop per capita as we do, if your donuts didn't suck ass.

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Oct 7, 05 1:39 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

dude, you need to get out of l.a. more. there's a whole world out here.

Oct 7, 05 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Crumpets

So, is your name to mean lab rat or la brat? Perhaps that was intentional. Interesting....

I stay away from donuts. They make you fat. But damn those rep bastards for bringing them in...

I second the TIm Horton's maple glazed donuts, though. Yum.

Oct 7, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
TSCOMG

having eaten doughnuts (and, unlike labrat and so many of you, i prefer the traditional spelling) in the four or five or six corners of this nation i can attest to the fact that los angles does so far seem to have the best. innumerable independent shops, like the unfortunately named "donut king" produce such one-of-a-kind classics as the "chocolate motherfucker" and the "hot dog roll" which by far trump such mainstream favorites as TH's maple glazed, and KK's original glazed.

open your eyes, n.per corell, and see! when one loves doughnuts, one need not leave l.a. i'm frickin' serious.

Oct 8, 05 2:54 am  · 
 · 
Fish

Hands down, Beard Papa. Not exactly a doughnut, more of a cream puff, but the best breakfast pastry on the planet.

Oct 8, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I never knew that people had such passionate views about doughnuts!
Fatsos, unite!

Oct 8, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: