Archinect
anchor

device for looking inside a model? help!

c_ty

i am trying to find a device for viewing inside of a model. i've seen door peep-holes used before but i don't want a fish eye view. is there anything else? someone told me about some sort of mini periscope but i've never seen one. do you know of anything? thanks.

Oct 3, 05 6:39 pm
dia

Call the CIA and borrow one of their cockroaches with a head mounted camera - sweet.

Oct 3, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

I've got a black and white camera, about the size of a AA battery, that has an RCA connection (most tv's or computer screen if you have some special boxes that hook into your video card). I can't remember where I got it (some random website), but I know that it wasn't more than 30 bux. Perhaps the color camera cost has come down... doubt it. It isn't quite a fisheye, but it is wide angle.

Oct 3, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i took these pictures from a 1/8" model with a logitech web camera. believe me, you don't want too resolute pictures for a small model. these did show me the space i was after. i assume you have a small model as well. you can use mirrors for bigger models.

Oct 3, 05 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
c_ty

thanks, but the problem is i don't need to see in there to take pictures, but for someone to look in there themselves...

Oct 3, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
c_ty

thanks, but the problem is i don't need to see in there to take pictures, but for someone to look in there themselves...

Oct 3, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I used to use something likethis. It cannot record but a good study aid. Or you can make one yourself with some chipboard.

Oct 3, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

sorry i didn't know you were selling turkish rugs...

Oct 3, 05 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Do you mean something like this?

Zing!!!

Oct 4, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Mantano - You get a gold star.

How about this.... Remember the flood of ads they used to have. Plus when your done using it for a model you can become a professional voyeur. weee

Oct 4, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Thanks, thanks much.

BTW, I figured that silver-hair for a Golden Girls era Rue Mcclanahan.

The horror of picturing sweet Southern sex kitten Blanche getting a camera up the tailpipe!

Oct 4, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Not sure if I'd really call her "model material," though.

Oct 4, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Damn, MM beat me to the punch!

Oct 4, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP
???
Oct 4, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
fordified

Wow, two Rue's in one night! And here I thought my life wasn't worth living....

Oct 4, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
joek

c'mon, the threads gone off topic.

To look inside you simply need to cut a stategically positioned aperture, void or perforation into one area of your model, place eye against said eyelet and there you go. Into that scale space like magic.

Sorry I know, but I couldn't resist.

Oct 4, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
corgansmuzzle

I have no idea where you could get one now, but my department at Penn State has a 'model scope' (not sure if that's the correct name or not) which is basically a very tiny periscope. It has multiple screw-on ends for an eyepiece or different size lenses (standard film camera sizes, I believe).

I'm not sure how old it is, and thus I can't say if you'd be able to find one anywhere, but I know they were available at some point. Hope that helps.

Oct 5, 05 2:39 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

the search function on archinect is your friend. embrace it.
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=P11324_0_42_0_C

Oct 5, 05 9:22 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Since that thread is a bit old, the first link I offered in it was dead. it was a link to a tool supply company that sold what you are looking for, c_ty; a borescope. google that and you'll find some places that rent or sell them. good luck.

Oct 5, 05 9:27 am  · 
 · 
norm

i used to use one of those little dentists mirrors. it had an adjustable head which helped.

Oct 5, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
driftwood
"Mantano - You get a gold star."

Don't you mean 'brown star'?

Oct 5, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
postal

tablesaw...cut it in half...

then seal off the light on the camera side....

or...3ds Max7...get with it man

Oct 5, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: