Archinect
anchor

looking for work? anyone?

rebelliousz_poet

I am a recent grad from a 5 yr. professional degree and after a long process of contacting alum as well as responding to post on the new york times, craigslist, archinect, new-york architects, monster track, through friends... Not to mention the follow up calls, emails, etc. i have been able to land a position as an entry level... Many architects i got through to expected or would only hire if i worked for free... Now I have worked my whole life... not always in architecture but my situation does not allow for [as my mother puts it] working for the "American" Now I wonder if you guys out there have any advise for others just starting out and looking for work... I was persistent and looked to all angles in design. What about the rest of you?

Oct 1, 05 12:00 pm
galvanize

How long was your search?

Oct 1, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
jabber

rp ... the problem would appear to be NYC ... get the hell out of there ... I know of no firms south or west of there that would expect you to work for free ...

go south and west young man !

Oct 1, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

working for free is insane unless you have external funds.

agree leaving ny is easier. maybe get some experience under your belt somewhere not so famous and then head back to a position where you don't have to live on klik...

a friend just got a lower-mid-level job with will bruder and as far as i know he ain't working for free and the work is very good.

Oct 3, 05 7:56 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

well i cant tell what your complaint is - it sounds like your pissed your entry level. Guess what, you are entry level. I wouldnt hire you with that attitude.

Oct 3, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

also - try selling poems to make ends meet

Oct 3, 05 10:11 am  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

let me guess evilplatypus venemous spurs twisted your conception of what i wrote above? but perhaps that is the likely thing to occur here: misinterpretation.

clarification: No, I am no way near pissed I am entry level. I am actually grateful. I only put this up to see or hear about how others went about it...
or whether there was any advise.

i'll ignore the second comment... waste of time and valuable space.

Oct 8, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes leaving nyc would be the easiest thing to do...its just an overpriced overrated city that has little or no opportunities for entry level architects

Oct 8, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: