Archinect
anchor

Life at Cooper Union

Znaika

I understand that Cooper Union picks up the tab on tuition. But what is the real cost of living in New York if you have no relations there? Are there any very modest/cheap options for students that plan to spend most of their time in studio and at work (it wouldn't make sense to have anything expensive).

My professor mentioned that one student who went to Cooper Union, literally rented a sleeping space (not an apartment) for cheap since architecture students literally do not have time for sleep or any social life.

Anything of that sort?

How expensive is life in New York for a student? Appreciate any feedback.

Oct 31, 11 3:44 am
small

Hi Desna,

I graduated from Cooper in '08 and can say that the cost of rent in New York will be your largest expense by far. In my case, I rented a studio apartment by myself and my rent/month was usually 2-3 times as much as how much I spent on groceries/etc. per month if you are frugal. However, if you share a space with others your rent can be even less. If you're willing to commute from Brooklyn or further out in the boroughs and live with others, rent can be as low as $400-600/month for a room. Cooper provides housing for first-year and some transfer students, but you also pay a premium for the space and location (literally across the street from the studio). Total rent for that space was ~$14k/year. I'd recommend connecting with others and finding a place you can share outside of the city. 

Best,

Aaron

Oct 31, 11 1:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Znaika

Thank you Aaron for your help. I haven't gotten in to Cooper Union yet (don't know if I will) but since I live on the West Coast, I thought early planning wouldn't hurt. 

One more thing Aaron, do you possibly have a example of a portfolio that was accepted into Cooper? 

Appreciate your comments and your help. 

Desna

Oct 31, 11 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
small

Hi Desna,

I don't have an example of a portfolio that was accepted into Cooper, but from my understanding the home test is the most important element of the admissions process and I believe the portfolio and all other application items should support that. However, this may be different if you are applying as a transfer student. Have fun with it and best of luck.

Aaron 

Oct 31, 11 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Thank you Aaron, 

I really don't know what to expect from the home test, but I think it will be an experience.

Cheers,

Desna  

Oct 31, 11 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: