Archinect
anchor

books on construction detailing

bcoll11

What are some good construction detailing books that people have found helpful and interesting? I'd like to find something that looks at modern materials and creative solutions. I'd also like something that has more of the standard details. There's always Arch Graphic Standards... but I'd prefer not to spend an entire paycheck on a book!

Apr 11, 11 5:16 pm
Rasa

I really like Edward Allen. This book should be within budget and good. I dig how it actually `teaches`you how to do details and guides you through the process.

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-Detailing-Function-Constructibility-Aesthetics/dp/0471488178/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Apr 11, 11 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
l0sts0ul

anything by francis d.k. ching. 

thank me later

Apr 11, 11 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Second anything by Francis D.K. Ching 100%

He also published a great building codes illustrated book, fantastic graphical representations of codes. The man works miracles.
Apr 11, 11 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

seconded allen's book.

Apr 11, 11 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Allen's book is excellent. A little dry, but it was mandatory for our first term in school and it seems like everyone keeps their copy through the program. Actually, one of our studio prof's recommended on the side that we keep the book well after we graduate as many of the topics covered are actually in the ARE's/EXAC's and the book was very useful to study those sections, according to her.

Apr 11, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
raj
i teach a detailing class and this is my collection of books i am a fan of.

two groups the text books are more specific to broad clear explanations...but can be more dry and usually more expensive?!?

"text books"·             

Allen, Edward and Joseph Iano.  Fundamentals of Building Construction, Fifth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York. 2008.

·               Allen, Edward and Patrick Rand, Architectural Detailing, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York. 2006

·               Ching, Francis D. K., Building Construction Illustrated, Fourth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York. 2008.

·               Deplazes, Andrea. Constructing Architecture: Materials, Processes, Structures, 2nd Ed., Birkhäuser Architecture;. 2008.

·               Watts, Andrew. Modern Construction Handbook, 2nd edition,  Springer; 2009.

the second group are just the more toward something like details magazine integrating images of projects BUT including very nice detail drawings.

·               Bell, Victoria Ballard and Patrick Rand. Materials for Design, Princeton Architectural Press; 2006. --bell looks at 5 different materials and how they are used in multiple ways.

·               Bizley, Graham.  Architecture in Detail, Elsevier Ltd.; 2008--AMAZING colored axons like the ones he is known for in RIBA magazine.

·               IMAGES. Details in Architecture: creative detailing by some of the world's leading architects, The Images Publishing Group; 1999. - nice broad collection of projects and their details

·               Killory, Christine and Rene Davids, (eds.).  Detail in Process, Princeton Architectural Press; 2008. --These two books are great at looking at some great projects by "starchitects" and getting access to some of their best details!

·               Killory, Christine and Rene Davids, (eds.). Details in Contemporary Architecture, Princeton Architectural Press; 2007.

Apr 12, 11 8:35 am  · 
 · 
raj

amazing...archinect lets us edit posts!

Apr 12, 11 8:37 am  · 
 · 
bcoll11

Thanks for all the suggestions...I want them all! I guess they'll have to sit on the amazon wish list for now.

Apr 12, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
raj

ah...why don't you just find it all in a library? amazing what you can do by creating your own collection of xeroxed images in a notebook. even city libraries have ways to sometime get books you are looking for if you live in a city without a college. we don't have to own everything.

sorry soap box...i'll get down now.

Apr 13, 11 8:09 am  · 
 · 
bcoll11

I'd like books that I can continue to reference for a few years, so I'd rather buy them. Plus, aren't all architects supposed to have a gigantic shelf of design books?

Apr 13, 11 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

As mentioned above, "Constructing Architecture" is a good resource. From the same publisher -  "Constructing Landscape" (Astrid Zimmerman) - has some very good parts on structure, detailing (very thorough), landworks and different materials, that makes it useful for architects as well. 

Apr 13, 11 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: