Archinect
anchor

still images from a dvd movie

c.k.

does anybody know how to obtain stills from a movie?
the print screen button is designed not to work in this case. I can always take a picture of the screen but it is never sharp enough.
any tricks you know would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 20, 05 8:22 pm
a-f

Depends on what player you are using I guess. Mine (ASUSDVD) has a "capture image" button, which copies the image to the print screen buffer. I don't know exactly how the hardware works, but I suspect that a DVD player uses another part of the RAM than the ordinary screen buffer, thereby disabling the print screen trick. You need some proper software to get around this.

Sep 21, 05 7:36 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Tried this? Found it via download.com

Artisan DVD/DivX Player

Sep 21, 05 7:39 am  · 
 · 
trace™

you can just hit the 'Print Screen' button, open photoshop, hit CTRL+N (it'll open the right size), CTRL+V, bingo!

Or you can get a program like SnagIt, which lets you draw a window and capture certain parts. It also lets you record what you are seeing (great for webcams ;-)

Sep 21, 05 8:22 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

DVD capture for mac... PC users?

Sep 21, 05 10:14 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
guiggster

On a similar note, is there anyway to cut up a dvd movie to edit it? I have super-8 film that hopefully is being put onto a dvd that I need to both get stills from and also in the future edit. Possible? I have no idea what the restrictions will be on the dvd.

Sep 21, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
todd

ask the person placing the super-8 on dvd to burn you the .avi file then you could do whatever in premiere.

Sep 21, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
MONARK

If you are trying to capture stills...use DVD/divx as A-F recommended above. There is an icon on their toolbar that allows you to do this. First designate where you want the stills to be saved to and then manually press the icon at the intervals desired. Another handy tool is then to open your folder with the stills using the 'automate' tool in photoshop ['file'- 'automate' - 'contact sheet' ] to have photoshop auto create contact sheets for you. Very helpful when analyzing large sections of a film!

If you actually want to bring the film into a program to edit or such you will have to 'crack' your dvd. Download a dvd decoder/crack program.

Sep 21, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

WinDVD can do screen captures... i have some kickass kill bill ones. but then you also realize that DVD resolution is still far from good.

Sep 21, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

guiggster: once you have your footage transferred to dvd, it won't be too hard to get it back onto the computer to edit. It will just take a little time (depending on how much footage there is). Bear in mind though, that the footage on the DVD will be compressed (more or less depending on how it was made). The raw super8 transfer will be of higher quality, but will be enormous. This probably won't be a problem unless you have special requirements, but just FYI.

Sep 21, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

The film in question is only about 10 minutes long (as each 3.5 minute of Super-8 costs about $30 [film and processing]) but how do I get it into the format to edit? Do I do what todd_ufl says and ask the guy for the .avi file? Or what?

Sep 21, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I'll try the artisan dvd player
thanks a lot

Sep 21, 05 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
MoffFace

To obtain stills from a DVD movie, you can try cyberlink: https://www.cyberlink.com/supp...

Of course, you can copy DVD to digital files for convenient playback with some free DVD rippers: http://www.videoconverterfacto...

Nov 26, 17 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: