Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Debts

Hays Office

I've noticed in a few other threads the mention, by some, of the possibility of graduating from graduate school, with an M.Arch, debt-free. These people had graduated from an Ivy League institution, one had been admitted to Berkeley with full tuition covered, etc.

Is this possible with scholarships and fellowships alone? Or did they have help from their folks? I've never met anyone who has truly escaped scot-free, so to speak. Where lies the truth?

And finally, have graduate school debts crippled anyone's postgraduate working life or do you all agree it was a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.

Oct 26, 11 2:42 pm
fokt

I think it varies a lot. I have a friend at an Ivy who told me one of her classmates has tuition covered by the university, and another one who has tuition and a huge stipend to cover living expenses, etc., but that is from a different organization/group unaffiliated with the university.

I and some of my classmates had combinations of scholarships and/or TA positions. At most that covered full-tuition, but usually not. Many of my friends happen to be fairly well-off too, so they don't have to worry too much.

I have debt, and it's a lot. But I like what I'm doing and so far it's been manageable. I would advise that if you really like architecture including the day to day architecture stuff, then it will be worthwhile. Otherwise, do something else that pays more.

Oct 26, 11 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
sectionalhealing

I know a few professionals that have done the "in-state tuition + scholarship + frugal lifestyle + paid summer internships/part time work" path and graduate with no debt (and without parental help).

The general rule of thumb is to keep your total debt lower than your expected first year's salary (for example $50k).  If your student loans are greater, it can be a huge long-term source of financial stress.

Despite the modest incomes, architecture is a pretty fulfilling profession, IMO.

Oct 26, 11 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Hays Office

Thanks, that all makes sense, and I realize everyone's experience differs. My lingering dilemma is this: I have substantial debts from undergraduate study and worry that the job market will be just as dire upon graduating an M.Arch program. I have confidence in my ability to make relationships in school that would traditionally lead to a job out of the gates but what if firms are still unable to hire? Yikes. I recently interviewed with an international firm in NYC and one of the first things out of the interviewer's mouth was, "I just want to let you know we have people with M.Archs and PhDs applying for this." I have a BA in Architectural Studies. This was a model making job! Long-term job security keeps me up at night too.

I'm curious, for those of you who are currently working, is job competition as fierce everywhere? Are you hearing of professionals pursuing alternative careers because of their inability to get back into a firm? How do things look on the horizon?

thanks. 

Oct 26, 11 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Master's is the new Bachelors.  Bachelor's is the new high school.

Oct 27, 11 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
RED_M

"I recently interviewed with an international firm in NYC and one of the first things out of the interviewer's mouth was, "I just want to let you know we have people with M.Archs and PhDs applying for this." I have a BA in Architectural Studies. This was a model making job! Long-term job security keeps me up at night too."

That's very dangerous. If you just think to apply for a MArch just to have more chances to get an entry-job position, don't do it. It will be a lot of effort, time and money (in your case, debt). 

Employ that time and effort to get this entry-level position with your current bachelor and you will probably save a lot of money.

Oct 30, 11 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: