Archinect
anchor

Arch. Standards - Numbering?

guiggster

A Japanese artist friend of mine asked me today if there was a standard way to write numbers on architectural drawings. For example, does the number 7 have a smaller vertical stroke to the left of the horizontal, etc... I told him that I had not come across such a thing but that I would try to find out.

Is there a standard? Is there a website that shows examples of architectural lettering?

Aug 28, 05 11:15 am
o+

buy one of frank ching's books, he letters everything in standard 'lettering'.

Aug 28, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Yeah, I have a couple Ching books. But what about numbering?

Aug 28, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
o+

in his 'architectural graphics' book he goes over lettering/numbering

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471209066/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-2461313-7418402?v=glance&s=books&st=*

for an example:
http://members.aol.com/fontner/frank.html

remember though, architectural lettering was supposed to be unique to the individual, not a font.

Aug 28, 05 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Beauty. I understand your comment, but my friend is just looking for an example... Plus Japanese students have trouble with the 'unique to the individual' idea.

Aug 28, 05 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

LOL!

I was having the same discussion with a friend the other day. As it stands I have worked for 7 offices (was was my own) that have used different numbering systems. I always prefer the A0.00 method tho.

C- cover sheet, civil dwgs., grading, misc shts., etc...
A- architecturals
P- plumbing
E- electrical
M-mechanical

Aug 29, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

pomotrash - did you not read the original post? It's about architectural font, if there is such a thing.
I'd say the standard, if there is one, is single strokes when possible and simple uniform letters, so no there wouldn't be small vertical on the upper left of the number '7'. This is just my opinion.

Aug 29, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

but pomotrash is correct. even in my office (in japan, as it happens) we use the prequel letter, dash, page number system. font? whatever makes you happy.

in any case contractors don't care if its arial or ms ui gothic, as long as they can read it...

Aug 29, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: