Archinect
anchor

Low Budget Home Design

dia

Hi,

I am looking for examples of low-budget, low construction cost housing. Specifially, I am looking at building methods that are simple, have little or no wastage, are efficient and green.

I guess this is more in the line of the Eames House, rather than using recycled elements or ultra green. I am interested in design where you use standard materials without alot of post-fabrication interms of resizing, application of chemicals etc.

I guess an example of this would be using marine ply instead of drywall [gib in my part of the wall], where you dont need the stopping and painting. Or using prefabricated concrete elements such as those used in roading like box culvert sections.

This is not really a prefabricated enterprise, such as the Lovetann featured in the news, but more about smart low-cost solutions.

Here is an example I like.

I guess I am looking for good and varied inspiration.

Aug 25, 05 8:50 pm
abracadabra

that's a nice 'kent beach house'.

Aug 25, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
dia

yes, a very nice 'kent beach house' indeed...

Aug 25, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Diabase, I'm sure you know this already, but on the off-chance you don't, here is an example of Rick Joy's work using rammed earth construction.

The wall to the right and back is raw rammed earth.

The earth is about as green as you can get, though of course there is cement mixed in as a binder, but there is no waste as the formwork can be used over and over (I believe) and it creates tremendous thermal mass.

Aug 25, 05 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yeah Liberty, good example. I am definitely interested in creating a working thermal mass. Ideally, the project will have a concrete floor, and a large connected vertical concrete wall [easily could be rammed earth] exposed to sunlight. I am not an ultra-green designer, but certainly want to design smart and efficiently. Thanks, I will look further into the technique as used here in Enzed.

Aug 25, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
proto

structural insulated panels are fun, but they're really only economical if you have a crane onsite (ie lots of panels or long span conditions)

hardie panel is pretty cheap and holds paint for a long time (little maintenance) and has been treated well in various projects.

(i'm interested what other suggestions people have... this could be a particularly interesting thread!)

Aug 25, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

uhhh i think these are only low budget projects if the help is not paid. and i know low budget.

Aug 25, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
proto

and once you have cheap materials, usually you trump that savings by detailing the hell out of them so that you have a no tolerance detail!

simple details will save more money than materials because it's the labor that drives project cost on a low budget project...

but let's hear some more materials....

Aug 25, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Whatever you can scavenge, use it. If it's free, it's good. Proto is right though - you've got to detail around the stuff. It's kinda backwards from the idea of something like 'performance specs'. However, you can offset
labor by doing it yourself. If you need labor, throw a helluva party everytime you need help. Start the work early & knock off in the afternoon - then PARTY. There is always a way to get it done close to free. It'll be more fun & maybe even a better house.

Aug 25, 05 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I have designed a 200m2 house using 24 precast panels - all the same height, length and with only variations to take the roof. It sits on a concrete floor with channels for services, positrut rafters, wool insulation, butanol roof, timber and ply where needed, and glass everywhere else. It has not been built, and I am about to get it costed.

The desired aim for this and similar projects is to build a 200m2 house @ $500m2

I am kind of building up a catalogue of similar kind of designs - low cost, high authenticity homes.

If you look at some dutch practices, particularly in some of MVRDV's houses, they use a lot of raw materials such as customboard, keyboard [perforated mdf] to great effect.

Aug 25, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Good points proto and mysteryman - I want to use off-the-shelf items as much as possible to minimise the need for fussy detailing when it comes to installation.

And of course harness highly detailed 3d modelling and basically build the whole house and then lead the construction process in this way. Idealistic I know.... Helps that I have plenty of builders in the family or as friends... and also a aluminium joinery manufacturer...

Aug 26, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
http://www.gabions.net/

probably this you know.

Aug 26, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 
dia

I've been a sucker for the mighty gabion ever sincle I laid eyes on the Dominus Winery... Love to use them - seen any interior applications?

Aug 26, 05 12:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sambo's work has a certain flair and is most def on the low end side.

Aug 26, 05 5:32 am  · 
 · 
pia555

Liberty Bell
That office with the rammed earth is in phoenix right? Loved that one. I remember from one of the magazines

Aug 26, 05 6:50 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

would gabions work to create thermal mass?

there is less mass in a gabion wall than a similarly sized solid wall, and more surface area too... it might not be very effective now that i think about it.

Aug 26, 05 9:03 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I think that's rick joy's office and it's in tucson.
The reason rick joy can inexpensively build his designs is he is design/build, and he employs students to do the work.
He has one real employee.
I love his work though.

A good product I found when researching Hardiepanels or alternatives to, is Cembonit. It's British and they have one rep in the U.S.- in kentucky. It's pretty much hardipanel but the difference is it can come with integral color and not need be painted. It also has the hardware for a rainscreen system. Samples look nice atleast - haven't seen it installed.

Aug 26, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: