Archinect
anchor

Housing Near Columbia

I'm moving to nyc in two weeks for the NY/P program at Columbia. I will only need a place from Sept.-mid Dec. Does anyone have any info on room availibilty? The closer to Columbia the better. I don't mind paying $700-$1100 if it's nearby. Thanks.

Aug 25, 05 11:47 am
raji

you're going to be paying more than that buddy.

Aug 25, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Not really, Rent up there isnt that overpriced - since you're so close to harlem.

Check www.craigslist.org - or hop on campus - I know a lot of people who pay rent in your range up there. You'll need roomates naturally.

It just sucks to have to go crosstown sometimes.

Good luck

Aug 25, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks John. So far the highest amount has been $1200, but price isn't my biggest concern. It's commute time and availibility. People on Craigslist that send posts with the words 'near columbia' have said they recieve over 40 emails per day. I figured people in GSAPP would have better leads because so many commute relatively short distances. Does anyone know how if it is easy for students to get studio or efficiency apts. in that area?

Aug 25, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
raji

It's quite difficult, like I said before it's going to cost you. Your best bet is to contact the gsapp, they have a listing of apartments/studios, etc that are available

Aug 25, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

try washington heights.

Aug 25, 05 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

just make sure you get a place that is WEST of morningside park--that place is dangerous. Contact Columbia UAH.

Aug 26, 05 2:58 am  · 
 · 
ice9

it really isn't that hard. i just moved out of a place on 105th between manhattan ave and columbus. i mean, compared to other parts of the city, its pretty easy to get a place. i'm not sure if this is the case with columbia UAH, but generally the trick is that you have to be there with money in hand. looking without being there is worthless. my suggestion would be to go and stay in a columbia area hostel like this one http://www.jazzonthepark.com/ for a day or two and scope out some places.

Aug 26, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
ice9

one last suggestion: when you look on craigslist, try searching for "manhattan valley". this refers, roughly, to the neighborhood bound by 110th to the north, 96th to the south, CPW to the east, and broadway to the west. the older neighborhood people call it manhattan valley, the real estate types try to label it (alternately) the upper west side or morningside heights. anyway, if you find people actually calling it manhattan valley, the rent will be lower.

Aug 26, 05 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Thanks all. I definitely think the hostel could work out well. I would just have to make living arrangements briefly. I'll have to try "Manhattan Valley" too- Lower rent always a +

Aug 26, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: