Archinect
anchor

Modeling in 3DS Max/Viz versus Rhino

nappy

I know many have stated they prefer modeling in Rhino more than 3DS Max. But specificallly, what can be modelled in 3DS MAX better than Rhino, and vice versa?

I know that both softwares must have their advantages and disadvantages!

For example, if I were to model something like the
Barcelona Pavillion (ie. something with very basic geometry/coordinates) which program would be better? Or does it really not matter. Likewise, if I were to model a Gothic Cathedral which sofware would be superior and why?

THANKS

Aug 20, 05 4:36 am
Pacific

you're right, most programs can generally do what you need them to do, but you're also right in the fact that certain ones do certain things much better than others. for simple things like the b pavillion, you could model it in any program (acad, vectorworks, archicad, max, viz, rhino, sketchup) and pretty much arrive at the same place.
rendering and environmental effects are a whole other story.

Aug 20, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

It really is a matter of preference, knowlege of the software and modeling skill. For organic modeling, you can model anything using subdivision surfaces (SubD or meshsmooth modeling - NURMS) that you can with NURBS.
I agree with Pacific that you can model both examples you gave with relative ease (Gothic Cathedral and the Barcelona Pavilion) using any of the programs he mentioned.
If you were going to use 3dsmax/viz to render the model though, I think it would be best to stick to Autodesk software for modeling because you could come across some difficulty with tesselation and file conversion etc. when importing other file formats into Max/Viz.
There are also some 3dsmax plugins from NPower software that you could look into: http://www.npowersoftware.com/products.html

Aug 20, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Thanks for the input pacific and remonio.

Aug 21, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
bigness

on the same thread...i heard that there is a rendering plug in for rhino that makes rather better renderings than the native one, does anyone know the name of this thing?

Aug 21, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I think alot of students take to rhino because it's a fairly easy jump to 3d from 2d acad skills. To many people, rhino's interface is what acad's 3d tools SHOULD be like.

there are a few rendering plugins for rhino. flamingo is popular, rhinoman has some supporters, there are also brazil and maxwell render plugins in beta development (both of which I think surpass or will surpass flamingo by a long shot), though word of warning, maxwell render requires a different approach to rendering technique, and not everybody likes it.

brazil and maxwell also have texturing limitations at the moment, which probably won't be improved on until rhino v4

Aug 21, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

i was wondering, do you guys convert all surfaces in Rhino into meshes before exporting to Max? does this make the move from rhino to max smoother/more accurate?

Aug 21, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Is it worth downloading Brazil plug-in for Rhino?
How does Brazil compare with built-in 3DS Max rendering?

Aug 21, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

brazil is much better than the standard scanline renderer. I still find that Mental Ray with Final Gather produces some nice renderings after using some Logarythmic exposure controls.

Check Final Render as well - great GI

Aug 22, 05 8:36 am  · 
 · 
nappy

hey John,

How about Brazil versus 3DS Max radiosity rendering?

Aug 22, 05 9:26 am  · 
 · 
manamana

.dwg - you can move a file from rhino to max and maintain NURBS geometry, however it is a bit tricky and to the best of my knowledge requires a third party app (right hemisphere's deep exploration). If you're intent on meshing, I'd recomend doing an operation that joins all the adjacent coplanar faces of the meshed model (formz is really good at doing this on .3ds import, I believe max has a similar tool that is a bit clunkier)

nappy: brazil for rhino is still in development, and isn't totally useful yet, mainly due to the texturing limitations in rhino's SDK (which will be improved in V4). The last beta I got a chance to play with was looking really nice, and was able to produce some nice (though texture - absent) renderings very speedily - it's good for fairly diagramatic stuff that needs to be done fast.

Aug 22, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Radiosity is dated and ill-equipped. Brazil is much more accurate.

Again, Final Render is amazing

or just Mental ray with Final Gather enabled

*Max by the way

Aug 22, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

sorry. I know this is not the right thread, but I am curious:

Does anyone know of a mIRC channel that specifically "facilitates" the software we use?

Having always depended on Bittorrent, and upgraded... I now find myself with a 7 version of max, and no Vray or Brazil. (had both for 6).

Aug 22, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

bump

Dec 17, 05 2:07 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

John, have you used Final Render Stage 0 with Max? It's only $95 at this point. I was just wondering what its limitations might be.

Dec 18, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: