Archinect
anchor

Degree versus Experience

alliecat

i am having an severe internal debate here... it is 2 days away from the start of classes for my MArch/MLArch at a state school that i am less than thrilled to attend... but i feel like i should just go to get my degrees and be done with it...
on the other hand, i have a good job that pays me well, closes down for 3 weeks during the winter and is flexible during ski season... oh and i am also eligible for 2 weeks paid vacation starting in 2 days...
i went into this firm 2 years ago with very basic drafting skills, and now i am a junior project manager/designer... my bosses want me to become a lead PM and salesperson, but that requires me to work 60 to 80 hours/week and it is also a big investment for my firm to make... i have pretty much turned down that offer based on the fact that i want a life outside of work, and the PMs at my office never seem happy...but i am still learning something new and receiving increasing amounts of responsibility everyday...
so i guess my question to you all is if the experience i will gain working full-time for another year worth putting off my education
for another year? also, will architecture firms view time spent with a LA firm as valuable experience?

Aug 16, 05 8:41 am
AP

just an inexperienced opinion...

I would work, maybe even the 60-80 PM job for the experience, then go to grad school. It seems that after grad school and such significant work experience you would be an exceptional candidate for employment. Maybe the extra year won't make a huge difference, but coming out of school and into the work force with PM experience would be huge. (again, I really don't know what I'm talking about, just projecting...)

Aug 16, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
AP

will the firm you're currently at entertain the idea of paying for your graduate education at a school that you would be more excited to attend? Just a thought. It happens often enough around here...

Aug 16, 05 9:41 am  · 
 · 
alliecat

no, my firm is tiny and couldn't afford to send me... the thing about the PM position is that they would expect me to stay for about 3 more years... i don't want to say yes, then leave and piss them off.... i'm really relying on these guys for references and recommendations... i'm leaning towards working another year... thanks for the input!

Aug 17, 05 8:24 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

So...Basically, in 2 days: You can choose either 2+yrs of some hell.
-or- you can go on vacation (plus get ski season
off?)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Aug 17, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
so i guess my question to you all is if the experience i will gain working full-time for another year worth putting off my education
for another year?

In my opinion, yes, a year's delay will make your graduate education all the more valuable because you have real-life experience to weigh against academia.

But be careful - the risk is that you'll get comfy bringing home a paycheck and not want to go back toschool, and I think most people desire the sense of closure that a degree brings.

Aug 17, 05 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

also you can get the teaching assistant jobs that require real world knowledge. ie working drawings etc...

Aug 17, 05 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
alliecat

mysteryman, i like the way you put that... makes the choice sound easy...
it sounds like i made the right decision... LB- your second paragraph hits home, not wanting to go back is a concern of mine, but without a degree i kind of feel helpless, so it is unlikely that this will be a permanent hiatus...
i am picking up side projects here and there to keep my foot in
Architecture as well, so I feel that this next year will still be a learning experience...

Aug 18, 05 8:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good luck alliecat and remember that everything in this profession is an educational experience, and we have a long time to refine what we learn both in and after school.

Now go have fun getting paid to be on the slopes!

Aug 18, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i'm curious as to whether you'd be asking the same thing if you were going to your school of choice. if you're really on the fence because of which school you'd be attending, i'd say wait and make a pass again at the school you really want to go to.

Aug 18, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Ive never not felt a sense of closure for not attending grad school. If you want to excercise your creative ambitions do some contests - but actualy do them. It will be just as rewarding as grad school if not more.

Aug 18, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
dary410

is grad school even necessary if you have good work experience like OP has?

I have also been contemplating about a grad degree for the past two years.. but the cost of a M.Arch for a BA Arch person like me is 3+ year at $50K a year = $150K debt. If i get some grant and lucky with some advanced standing (which is unlikely as most of my friends got 3.5 year at ivy's).. then maybe $100K debt. I dont need to get a degree to be licensed in CA.

My point is.. if sense of closure is taken out of question... is the degree really that important for career advancement?

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP.

Aug 25, 11 2:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: