Archinect
anchor

Bruce Goff

MysteryMan

Discuss?

Aug 11, 05 11:14 am
zero_point

While I'm sure others will probably love his work, I find it to be rather discomforting, even though I admire the biomorphic forms he creates (especially that chicken house thing).

Aug 11, 05 11:20 am  · 
 · 
raj

definatly a FLW disciple...but i would say he really did not evolve. his designs are very dated. impressed he could do anything contemporary in Oklahoma back then!

ironically, didn't the likes of bruder work under him? now he evolved well!

Aug 11, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

it is interesting how bruder evolved much better than bart prince

Aug 11, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Raj,
Maybe if Goff was around today, doing the 'retro' thing, he could be considered 'dated.'

J,
To hell w/ GA.

Aug 11, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

another relevant architect for this discussion is probably arthur dyson

Aug 11, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

Ah, good old Art Dyson.

Aug 11, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

'new age' like yanni is to music and his electic/electric violin. that's the only metaphor i can come up with. give's me the shivvers. the stuff makes me a little queesy for some reason as with yanni's music. weird. i dig it though, not for the architecture - but for how different it is to anything else in the "sterile world."

http://www.tdrinc.com/

Aug 11, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i have seen the future.

Aug 11, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

nice. bruce goff lives on in his apprentices. sounds a bit cult like doesn't it? it's a scary scary world.

Aug 11, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

Yeah That crazy caped man is [url=http://www.tdrinc.com]Dr. Eugene Tsui[]/url] I used to intern for him. Crazy guy but very cool.

Aug 11, 05 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

eh did't work but someone already posted link

Aug 11, 05 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been out to the Goff-designed Ford House in Aurora, IL (a former professor of mine lives there now), and I love the building. It's not what I would personally have designed, and I'm not sure I'd even want to live in a place like that myself, but I still think it's very cool.

I can't really speak much about his other projects, though.

Aug 11, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

We used to have a Goff Bldg, here in ATL. It started as a Mercedes dealership, then became the great Oxford Bookstore, then was demolished for some stupid Loft Condos.

This bldg, probably because it was a car dealership, was not the typical Goff bldg. It certainly had flair, but it was definitely toned down due to its conservative program. I only experienced it when it was a bookstore - It was a great place to go, but I really would've liked to see it's original construction.

Aug 12, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

today's random Goff-Haus:

http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/residential_brucegoff

Aug 16, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I think Goff was actually ahead of his time... Sure he was about a kind of expressionism, but that was pretty radical at a time when Modernists were all doing boxes... Contemporary architects like Frank Gehry could be seen as following a similar line as Goff...

Aug 16, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Well Goff's early stuff was more conservative, like FLW type stuff... His later stuff became more freeform organic...

Aug 16, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy
http://www.bruce-goff-film.com/start.html

you guys are aware of this film, right?

Aug 16, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts
Aug 17, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

i feel really bad, but when i first looked at that pic i thought, wow, that looks like a really ghetto hood ornament....

Aug 17, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

No way, ghetto cluture could never come up w/ lettering like that.

Aug 17, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I won't let this one die: today's Bruce Goff Gem:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnosis/sets/733065/[/url]

I've seen it a hundred times & didn't realize it was one of Goff's. This bldg really has to be seen if you're in ATL. It's gotta be one of the most incredible ruins in the USA

Aug 21, 05 12:40 am  · 
 · 
arimae

Hmm, I don't think it's fair to call Goff a Wright cultee. I'm not a huge fan of his work, but at least he was creative with form and material; who else could build a house of coal?

The FLLW cronies lack any sort of inquisitiveness that would enable them to grow beyong their teacher. Goff might have known Wright, but he didn't want to be him. He definately developed his own voice.

--------

Living in Gin - I stayed at that house in Aurora. Sid teaches a couple of classes up here at Taliesin every summer, and he let us stay the night when we visited the Farnsworth house.

Now that was an interesting trip. Meis's glass rectangle verses Goff's shingled pumpkin. It's unbelievable that the two reside so close to each other.

Aug 21, 05 3:29 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

It's funny, I expected to see a fair share of Goff-haters, here. But no dice.

BTW, I am actually starting to wonder if my last post about the bank bldg in ATL is accurate. I did some backtracking & haven't found any other references to a Goff bank in ATL. Perhaps I jumped the gun w/ this link: link

Somebody better @ Googlin' , or Goff History, let me know if I'm on the wrong track w/ this one.

Aug 21, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Just as I thought, I goofed. This bldg is not a Bruce Goff work. Still it's quite a piece: link

Aug 23, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: