Archinect
anchor

FU F1

dragthelake

...autodesk architectural desktop 2005, can i change the keyboard setting so when i accidentally hit F1 instead of the escape key, the internet help window doesnt open?

Aug 11, 05 9:48 am
MysteryMan

HA! You think that sucks.
Try starting w/ AutoCAD before 1988, back when the 'F1' key toggled between GFX & text screens. After Friggin' ACAD10, or 11 those faakers
changed 'F1' to 'F2' & put that worthless 'help' krap on 'F1'

To this day, I find new curses for those jerks in Sausalito. Sittin' around, w/ their little bitty spectacles & their Hoi-Paloy cappucinos......

Aug 11, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

..btw, if anybody's got a solution to that, lemme know.

Aug 11, 05 10:06 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

before you go to far cursing the autodesk people, remember all the good things theyve done as well.

Aug 11, 05 10:09 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

You're right, E/P.
* Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (OK, not all Autodesk)
* CAD Standards (that vary from person to person)
* A revival of Hyroglyphics (sp?) aka - Layers & Filenaming
* Reducing the drawing from 'drafting-board sized, to a roughly 9x9
window
* Adding an extra layer, or layers, of complication to an already
complicated process
* Countless nights of correcting improperly referenced XRefs, blocks
defined poorly, entities drawn w/ 'z' coords in 2D dwgs, entities off
by .001 degree, Osnapping to some arbitrary point...blah,bla,blah

* Trying to train Interior Designers, old architects & inexperienced
architects, or every project team I've ever seen, to use ACAD while
getting reamed by the boss for falling behind

* Having to dope-slap myself every so often to remember that I'm
not here to be a Friggin' CAD-Guy

* ..& I 'll bring it up again - THE 'F1' KEY!!!!!!!!!!!AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

...Not that I've got issues w/ ACAD, or anything...

Aug 11, 05 10:24 am  · 
 · 
doberman

i've got exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts. i sympathize but I havenit got a clue how to change that.

Aug 11, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

The best I've figured is to delete, or rename the ACAD.hlp (or whatever AutoDesk happened to rename it-their inconsistnecy is consistent). Still slows you down, but slows you down a little less.

Aug 11, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

tape a piece of chip board over it so that you can't push it

Aug 11, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i thougth this was about the race at indiannapolis.

Aug 11, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

a pushpin taped upside down is now renting out the F1 key.

Aug 11, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'd only get tetanus.

Aug 11, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

...inproperly Xref'd onto your skin layer

Aug 11, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

yup. Do the SM method. All the F1 keys in our office are in a small cardboard box in the basement.

Aug 11, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

its still better than hand drafting any day

Aug 11, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

hah. the evil autocad help key.

i have defeated it. i have defeated it indeed.

i use a widget app called konfabulator. i set it so that when i press the F1 key it brings the widgets up. go to hell autocad help... you suck!

Aug 11, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
aseid

i dont know if anyone remembers but back in acad 12 if you typed end by mistake when you were doing snaps at the command line rather than during and actual "command" the program would close,

i dont know it was rather annoying

just thought i would contribute some hate

Aug 11, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Hand Drafting was no fun, neither is AutoCAD. And, yes, I am in this for the 'fun.'

Aug 11, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Arch_student_UTSA

El Jefe: I thought this was about the US Grand Prix (F1 racing) as well.

FU Michelin!

Aug 11, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
bobross

3ifs - thanks for the widget stuff...I am SOOO excited about the typing speedometer...I spend MORE time doing contracts and memos than autocad.

Other than that, I CAN'T believe that the ONLY other solution is to take the F1 key off...

Aug 11, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

i found a solution!!!

1. find a file in autocad/support folder called acad.mnu
2. find a portion in the file called ***ACCELERATORS
3. add [internal+"F1"]^C^C at the end of the section.
4. save and close.
5. in autocad command line, enter MENU
6. select the acad.mnu file you just edited. (you may have to change the file type in the drop down file from .mnl to .mnu)
7. restart autocad et voila!

Aug 12, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 
batiment

by the way, this makes the F1 key double as an escape key.

Aug 12, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

oooooo. I'm gonna give it a shot. If it works, put yourself in that 'Have You Won a Prize' post because I'll order one up for ya.

Aug 12, 05 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

batiment......GENIUS!!!

Aug 12, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

batiment ! What they said! Wow, Archinectors owe you, man. You have helped solve something that's dogged me for at least 12-13 yrs.

Hey, I wonder, can you put other commands into that (& other) F'*' keys by the same method? I'm a little rusty because the last time I was into writing menus, Hootie & the Blowfish were unmercifully tormenting the airwaves.

Aug 12, 05 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

i dont know too much about code myself, i just hit F1 and used the help menu to figure it out. it took some trial and error but once i got it it seemed simple enough.

from what i gather, you can do all the keys like that.
when i first redefined the F1 key I made so anytime i accidently hit it, my dwg saved.

that command is [internal+"F1"]^C^C_qsave
so i think you can change the F1 part to Fwhatever and enter any command you want as well.

hope this helps.

Aug 12, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
anti

Does anyone else find amusement in Batiment's just hitting the F1 key to find the solution to hitting the F1 key?

Aug 12, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

i think im even more confused.
this wouldnt happen if autoCAD was on an apple platform.

Aug 12, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

dont piss on our parade dragthelake. go back thumbing open apples on archicad.

Aug 12, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

i have help open all the time, so i never had that happen...which makes me think, just keep it open all the time. hit F1 first thing in the mornin', problem solved.

Aug 13, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
KEG

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 31, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

yay! vectorworks!

Jul 31, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

i took the F1 key out of my keyboard.

Jul 31, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
superduct

LOL, i ripped that sh*t off too!

Aug 24, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

we have this foreign IT consultant that came in the other day to setup a new workstation for a new employee. he came over to me with a keyboard in hand and said "what is this deal with f1, where it go?" haha, i had to give him this speal on why we take them out to make our own "custom" keyboards.

he suggested i put it on the new guy's keyboard to see what he wanted to do with it. the damn thing wouldn't go back on right, so its stuck in there. even if the new guy tries to hit the f1, nothing will happen.

there's my FU F1 story for today.

Aug 24, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
FUFUF

FU

Aug 24, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

This is how we customize our keyboards at work:

Aug 24, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Anybody want to stay up and watch teh Turkish Grand Prix with me?

I used to hate autocad with all my being... then I worked at an office that used PowerCAD.... I'm still not an autodesk fanboy, I never thought I would enjoy Autocad but man o man was PowerCAD worthless... it's actually made me appreciate some of Autocads features and ralize how much time they save me. The problem now is all the cad jockeys that think they know how to use it.

I guess this startks to go back that thread about the loss of the draftsman so I'll save this for that thread.

Aug 25, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

just when you thought you had mastered it...

good luck

in the next iteration, i think we put some sort of anti-save, auto-crash + face-punch button to the left of the esc key

Mar 11, 11 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: