Archinect
anchor

What is the best graphics card for architecture students?

ichweiB

Well, the title spaeak for itself, I am just trying to figure out what would be best in a graphics card...Dell uses the G Force, HP uses the ATI Radeon...which one should I go with? Would it be better to buy a computer without a card and install the one I want?

Jul 12, 05 1:02 pm
sunburntkamel

i've always bought workstation cards (3dlabs' realizm, ATI's FireGL, Nvidia's Quadro) because they're meant to be optimized for OpenGL (which modeling/rendering/drafting software uses)
but they're also usually more expensive and slower to market.
unfortunately _no one_ does comparison tests between the two, so i'm not sure if buying a high end gaming card will do you just as well as a mid range workstation card.

Jul 12, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

are any of these available for laptops?

Jul 12, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel

yep.
only for the "business" laptops, tho.

Jul 12, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

benchmark testing using many many methods at www.anandtech.com

Jul 12, 05 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Quadros for 3-d apps as they are fully reprogramable for open gl. You can download special drivers for cad and viz/max. Though you may do better off getting a consumer card, geforce, and spending the extra money on more ram.

Not a fan of ati as the cards run hot and I have had driver issues with them on mutiple occasions.

check cadalyst, cgarchitect, augi, and such for pro card reviews. Most hardware sites wont do them as its a small and expence market.

Jul 12, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

IBM has the FireGL available with the T series notebooks... it'll cost you an arm, leg, toes, ear and whatever other body parts you can part with.

Jul 12, 05 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
dia

My HP NW8240 has an ATI FireGL V5000 128mb Graphics Card. Very nice so far, although I havent really tested it to the max yet. Have a look here for futher info. According to ATI's website, the 8240 is the only laptop to have this card so far.

Jul 12, 05 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

if this is for school or personal/home use, i really dont see the need to shell out hundreds more for a firegl or quadro. you can buy a radeon x800 or the new geforce 6700 (not out for notebooks yet though). some drivers allow you (if the card allows as well) to unlock certain things, allowing your 'regular' card to become a workstation card.

Jul 12, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Well guys, as far as being able to find drivers to do such things, I am pretty ignorant. This is what my school shows that they teach in the labs and I want a computer with a graphics card that can handle it:

Current Lab Software:

3-D Modeling and Rendering:
3D Studio Viz- Discreet
Form-Z - Autodesys
RenderWorks - Nemetschek
Lightscape - Discreet

2-D Computer Aided Drafting:
AutoCad 2002 - AutoDesk
VectorWorks - Nemetschek
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2004

I know I will put 2 gigs of RAM in the computer so do you think that the consumer's video card that will come in a higher end pc will work. I believe the HP runs a ATI Radeon x600 at 256MB and the Dell a 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800.

The difference in the computers(besides the brand) is that the HP runs a 3.2ghz processor with HT technology and the Dell only a 2.13...both run a front side bus at about 530. Like I said, I will put in 2 gigs of RAM in both. Based on the programs that I will be using as I posted earlier, what would one do? I need to buy in August

Jul 12, 05 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

I would get the HP. even though its got a slower video card, it has a 1 gig advantage over its dell counterpart, which should make a bigger difference than between a x600 vs a 6800. just try to look up reviews for it on google. and in my previous post, i mean to say geforce 7800 gtx

Jul 13, 05 6:30 am  · 
 · 
viviandc

Hi guys: I've been using dell laptops and I am pretty comfortable with them. This year I am starting a MP in Planning and Design, I have no idea of video cards, the school listed " 256 MB 3D accelerated graphics card", witch is very generic for me. In dell.com i found few video cards, like:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus, AMD® FirePro® M5950 Mobility Pro Graphics with 1GB GDDR5, AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M (128-bit) 1GB Graphic and NVIDIA® Quadro® 1000M with 2GB GDDR3

Wich one is better? please HELP. Thanks( I need it to run Adobe CS5 and AutoCAD 2011)

Jul 25, 11 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: